SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting fed up with my paint. It has water marks, etching, stains from when some tree sap got on it, a a billion spider-web/swirl mark scratches plus a ton of little scratches all over the place.

Anyways, I took to it with Meguiar's clay... sorry everyone but it didn't do a thing. Then I tried Meguiar's polish and Carnuaba wax in part of their deep crystal system.. looks nice but didn't do very much for the paint damage. I went out and bought some turtle wax polishing compound and tried that out. I had to rub pretty hard to get some mediocre results from that.. the stains and etching are still there though. I don't have a buffer or dual action, so im doing this by hand.

Can anyone recommend a good compound that as long as I am careful I wont destroy my paint but that I will be able to get my paint flawless again?

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Clay bars won't do a thing for scratches or visible damage. All they do is get surface contaminants off of the paint so it feels smooth again. My favorite rubbing compound is 3M Perfect-It rubbing compound. It's not as abrasive as the paste types you find at most auto parts stores, but if you use it with something like a Porter-Cable polisher, you get great results. You can also use it by hand, but it won't work quite as well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
sethsev7n,

I've tried Autosol(chrome & aluminium polis) with very good results on my blue metallic 900, doesn't go as "deep" as regular "rubbing" compund, but if you need a really deep cut then go with rubbing and then finish off with Autosol & Autoglym wax. It depends a lot what paint you have, metallic or standard, if the latter any rubbing compound will "eat" into your paint, heavy duty rubbibg more so than anything else, but it might be your only option to do just that to get the shine back,

cheers,

K.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts