SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Just wondering if there is a way to replace the flexible edge on the large plastic piece that covers the wiper/blower motor area and rests on the windshield ?
Thanks in advance,
Cap'n

·
Registered
127 Posts
nope, unfortunately you have to buy the entire cowl. The rubber edge just flakes off when it gets old. To prevent that from happening to me a second time I plasti-dipped my replacement. Looks pretty good keeps everything held together. Luckily i doesnt really matter if it flakes off, the water goes straight into a drain anyways. Only thing you got to worry about is pine needles clogging those drains.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope, unfortunately you have to buy the entire cowl. The rubber edge just flakes off when it gets old. To prevent that from happening to me a second time I plasti-dipped my replacement. Looks pretty good keeps everything held together. Luckily i doesnt really matter if it flakes off, the water goes straight into a drain anyways. Only thing you got to worry about is pine needles clogging those drains.
Ahh gotcha. Yea I took my cowl off the other day to vacuum the area out, and the strip didn't look replaceable unfortunately. Oh well.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I don't think we have Plasti-dip over here. I've heard before of its being used for this repair, which luckily I don't need (less sunshine here). How is it applied in this specific case?

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
Someone posted a few years ago here that they found some rubber moulding on line that was a nearly exact fit and they had good success. I remember the post but I have tried a couple of times to find it since I wanted to try it but could not. Perhaps the person who did it could respond with a link?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Someone posted a few years ago here that they found some rubber moulding on line that was a nearly exact fit and they had good success. I remember the post but I have tried a couple of times to find it since I wanted to try it but could not. Perhaps the person who did it could respond with a link?
I'm not the person that posted the link, but i did find this a few hours ago when i searched that might work:

IMG_5897.PNG

Its from Steele Rubber at :

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Not separate part. You need cover itself P/N: 12770180 (you can use any MY part, because they all superseled to 12770180)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not separate part. You need cover itself P/N: 12770180 (you can use any MY part, because they all superseled to 12770180)
Thanks for the input, I will keep the part number in mind. Although I was looking for a different option besides a whole cowl. The above rubber molding might work if the flexible edge is trimmed off the cowl piece, and the rubber molding installed. Adapt and overcome ;)

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
I don't know if you have any self-service junkyards in your area, but every so often a nice garage-kept 9-5 shows up with an intact cowling and rubber seal. I've found two, one for each of my 9-5s that way. One of them was still black, shockingly enough. The other was faded, but a couple of coats for Forever Black made it look like new again.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know if you have any self-service junkyards in your area, but every so often a nice garage-kept 9-5 shows up with an intact cowling and rubber seal. I've found two, one for each of my 9-5s that way. One of them was still black, shockingly enough. The other was faded, but a couple of coats for Forever Black made it look like new again.
Another trick I have seen is to take a heat gun to the faded plastic. It draws the oils out of it and makes it black again. Although it might make it more brittle too.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
I have a brand new old stock one that I bought from a fellow member YEARS ago...taking offers starting at a gazillion dollars.

I'll be putting it on my 2004 project and then I will have two to sell that are twenty and fifteen years old in good shape, Canadian in garage frozen not sunburnt or busted. ?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
351,000 Iranian Rials for it LOL but i have a 1999, dont know if that would fit LOL and I was looking for a different solution to a whole cowl since it is intact except for that edge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought and installed this item from the Bay of E - item number 123808649718. Not stock by a long shot but it still looks far better than the old cracked OEM stuff. A bit of peeling off the old lip and a little clear RTV on the bottom to hold the new one in place worked fine. It's obvious that it's a replacement but, for my cheap self $8 beats the hell out of whatever a new cover costs.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought and installed this item from the Bay of E - item number 123808649718. Not stock by a long shot but it still looks far better than the old cracked OEM stuff. A bit of peeling off the old lip and a little clear RTV on the bottom to hold the new one in place worked fine. It's obvious that it's a replacement but, for my cheap self $8 beats the hell out of whatever a new cover costs.
THANKS 😊, that’s exactly the type of fix I was looking for. Just something to keep most of the water out of the compartment the large trim piece covers. As we all know, the ECU is also under a boot under that cover, and I’d be willing to bet the ecu doesn’t mix well with water if that boot is less than new.

One trick I found to make trim pieces like that look like new is run a heat gun over it to bring the oils back to the surface of the piece. I tried a small spot and it seemed to work. Tho I have also seen in the research I have done the heat gun method could make the piece more brittle. So I’m like you, I’m cheap as well. $8 is way better than whatever even a used trim cover would cost.

Thanks again 😊👍🏼

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you missing ECU wire looms and ECU cover?
No its all there Mimmi, I just wanted a cheaper solution to the ragged out edge to the plastic trim piece without having to buy a whole trim piece. Since the boot is right under that trim cover, and if that boot leaks at all, its a bad thing. When your car (and the boot) is 21 years old, a person gets protective of certain things LOL

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
ECU wire loom and ECU cover intact?
If yes, no need, because water can not reach ECU.
As for appearance, yes, because that will be much better looking than ragged edge.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts