SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think anything is broken but I wanted to be sure that other cars have this behavior.

When I push the clutch in at times (usually accelerating but happens in other situations also) the RPMs increase. Nothing significant, maybe 500 RPM.

My guess is that the engine is just conserving angular momentum and since the engine doesn't have to turn the transmission/wheels/other gadgets it turns faster when the clutch is depressed.

So, do you other Saab pilots see this also?

Paul

·
Registered
221 Posts
Mine does the same thing, I have 78,800miles on it and have owned it since 44k and has done it since I've owned it, as far as I can tell it is normal

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Well, yes, the RPMs must increase some if you disengage the clutch WITHOUT easing up on the throttle control. And this will reduce the clutch disk life..

But, I have always released the throttle, push down on the clutch, shift and go again.. In normal driving, not testing anything.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am coming off the gas before depressing the shifter though and the jump still occurs. Sometimes it looks like I get the expected decrease in RPM when coming off the accelerator then when I push in the clutch it bounces up.

Paul

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Assuming it is not a function of how quickly you come off the gas, then your throttle may be sticking. Or to put it another way, the throttle is not closing as quickly as it should some of the time when you take your foot off the gas pedal.

Lots of friction points in the throttle system.

The throttle plate has pivot points. The throttle cable works against a couple "throttle return" springs on the throttle body. The springs rotate on small plastic spools. One of the springs has a lubricated shaft. The throttle cable is coated with some kind of plastic, but also slides in a guide.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I wonder if the throttle plate area is in need of a good scrubbing; with enough crap build-up , this could be sticking and not properly closing..

I spray down the throttle return springs and shafts as part of the "tune up" ; next I will have to tackle the throttle cable - this is not smooth in either car..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts