SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ‘07 9-3 2.0T AT has developed an issue while starting. It acts almost like a vacuum leak, with the RPM dropping to 500 and nearly stalling and then jumps up to normal. No other issues once you get past the start and it idles/drives just fine. Once every blue moon it will stall.

I did some searching but couldn’t find anything similar. Has anyone seen this?

·
Registered
10,188 Posts
Check for air leaks. WIS tells TSB of this.

·
Registered
318 Posts
My ‘07 9-3 2.0T AT has developed an issue while starting. It acts almost like a vacuum leak, with the RPM dropping to 500 and nearly stalling and then jumps up to normal. No other issues once you get past the start and it idles/drives just fine. Once every blue moon it will stall.

Have you noticed if it does it tied to environmental factors like starting when warm? My 2007 does this every once in a while, and while it may be related to another issue (not CPS sensor, unfortunately) I think I'll try and check for air leaks as well.

Mimmi, does the WIS give info on how to look for air leaks?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone.

It has happened with the engine hot and when cold. The issue is most prevalent when ambient air temperature is warm (it was in the 80s this weekend when it struggled most).

I’ve addressed a few vacuum leaks already such as the brake vacuum pump seal, so I’ll keep searching.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Everyone,

Sorry to revive an older post of mine, but this issue persists and has become worse. I now have to try to start the car 3-4 times and occasionally give it gas while starting. I continued down the vacuum leak path and replaced the delivery pipe from the intercooler to the throttle body as well as the hose from the air box just behind the MAF. Both were... crusty. These made no difference in starting.

About a year ago, I had a CEL for throttle body codes that went away after a few days and never reappeared. Car now has 159k. Should I bite the bullet and replace it?

·
Registered
10,188 Posts
Have you replaced ALL vacuum hoses?

·
Registered
2008 Saab 9-3 Aero FWD 6MT
316 Posts
Do diagnostic work first, fuel pressure test, smoke test, data stream, etc. Also try to isolate the conditions that cause the issue. Park or drive, cold or hot engine, ambient temp, gas level, etc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update - resolved this old issue after chasing down various parts.

A new CPS, throttle body and vacuum lines did not fix my issue. I discovered the car had after-market coils in it and bit the bullet and bought new OEM Saab/Mitsubishi coils. Since putting in the new coils the issue has never come back - and we're in the middle of a warm summer!

·
Registered
226 Posts

Does this line up with the intake valve symptoms that the 2007’s are known for?
have any stored codes? A vac leak should set a lean code at idle if present and significant.
I would take peak at the throttle body to be sure the bore is clean just for fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts