SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could use some help. I have a 2004 Saab 9-5 with 202k. It has had an oil leak for some time now that I think is related to the oil pressure switch. I drove it my parents about 2.5 hrs away combination of highway and city with some step hills, but it seemed to run ok. Yesterday I checked the oil level and the dip stick wasn't registering at all. I put about 1.5 quarts of oil in it and drove it a little bit without issue. My son then drove it back home the 2.5 hrs and half way into the trip called saying it was really shaking when idling. I got home this morning and started the car. First time it didn't start and there seemed to be a high whine in turning it over. The second time it started up but there definitely is a violent shake in it. I checked the oil and it is good. I'm afraid even to pull it out of the garage as to it dying on the road. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Checked all vacuum hoses and they are intact. In addition to rough idle, the car seems to be puffing at idle and can be felt throughout the exhaust system as if it isn't breathing properly. When car is started it putters or puffs out of tail pipe. My indy mechanic thought it was holding exhaust in the engine, not allowing it to fully escape. Took out the plugs and the electrode on one of the plugs was badly warn as if it was melting. The engine is extremely hot to touch but the car is not over heating. Mechanic said it might be the DIC, but also stated that there might be a clog in the exhaust system. Said we could try a new set of plugs to see if that helps, so put a new set of ngk's in but it didn't improve at all. Really need help with this please. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
unbolt the exhaust from the turbo and start the car, if it runs better than you deff have either a clogged cat or clogged exhaust.

I would also check the air filter for blockages. Make sure the vacuum lines going to the throttle body are all intact, feel them and make sure they are not brittle and crubling...just visually looking doesnt do any good.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tank thanks for the reply. I'm pretty much a novice so do you know of a site or post that shows how to do what you described with the turbo? The lines did not feel brittle. I'll check the air filter as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.