SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.

I just finished changing the head gasket and #1 piston rings on my 2001 9-5.

There are a few issues.

My lifters seem pretty noisy-I’ve been told this is normal since the head was cleaned of oil but it’s still pretty startling.

Car runs rough at idle and when shifting to park—gets pretty close to stalling. I haven’t been able to pin down any vacuum leaks, but I’m planning to open up the valve cover tonight to double check the timing.

Any advice? Did I annihilate my engine?

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
The lifters will take ~10 minutes to pump back up but it is nerve wracking when you're standing there listening to it rattle like crazy

I'm chasing the same issue with my 01 Aero, what appears to be a misfire and rough idle but the car runs great when it's above 1500 RPM. Still can't figure it out. Pressurized the entire intake and can't find any leaks, checked the timing, checked the vacuum leak possibilities, changed the boost control valve and MAF with a spare. I'll be interested to hear what you figure out as you chase this one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The lifters will take ~10 minutes to pump back up but it is nerve wracking when you're standing there listening to it rattle like crazy

I'm chasing the same issue with my 01 Aero, what appears to be a misfire and rough idle but the car runs great when it's above 1500 RPM. Still can't figure it out. Pressurized the entire intake and can't find any leaks, checked the timing, checked the vacuum leak possibilities, changed the boost control valve and MAF with a spare. I'll be interested to hear what you figure out as you chase this one.
I’ve been driving for the past day (30 miles) and they still haven’t quieted down much. I took the cover off and they looked rather dry.

As far as the rough idle goes, I got an P0900 error code—I don’t know what that might mean.

PS: thanks for helping me out so much these past few days, you should join us on the Saab discord, this link should take you there

·
Registered
210 Posts
I’ve been driving for the past day (30 miles) and they still haven’t quieted down much. I took the cover off and they looked rather dry.
what exactly do you want to say: they looked rather dry? There should be oil all over the camshafts.
Do you have a picture?

·
Registered
840 Posts
P0900? Can't find that on my Saab list but google suggests its transmission clutch actuator related.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts