SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove all the way home on an empty tank.....had no choice, the nearest station was near my house anyway.I got to the station filled up and soon after the tach started bouncing all over the place.The next day I got some dry gas and some really good gas treament.The CEL was on so I had it scaned.....p0300 and p0137.I changed all vac lines,cleaned the IAC,changed the O2 sensor and the plugs.I even replace the DI with a black one(don't have a red one)just to rule out......NO LUCK.I checked the search but only found what I already did;oops:

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
If you think it has to do with running on empty, there may be some crud in the fuel injectors or in the FPR, sucked up from the tank. Not the most likely thing, but possible. A couple cans of fuel injector cleaner, from a part store (not the useless little bottles they sell in gas stations), might fix the problem.

Btw, the ecu should be reset each time you swap plugs or the ignition cassette, at least on the NG900, so the software can re-adapt to the new hardware more quickly.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Clogged fuel filter maybe? You drove on an empty tank. It makes sense that gunk and sediments accumulate on the bottom of the tank. You may have aspirated all that gunk along with the last of the gas and clogged the filter

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
5series said:
I drove all the way home on an empty tank I'd love to be able to do this, el-cheapo that I am.
Was the low fuel light on ?
And for how long ?.....had no choice, the nearest station was near my house anyway.I got to the station filled up and soon after the tach started bouncing all over the place Was this accompanied by an irregular idle, in other words ,was the tachometer functioning correctly ?.The next day I got some dry gas and some really good gas treatment.The CEL was on so I had it scaned.....p0300 and p0137.I changed all vac lines Did the lines fail their test ? Were the plugs and sensor really cruddy ??
If so, the car may have been running poorly, and running low has nothing to do with this condition,cleaned the IAC,changed the O2 sensor and the plugs.I even replace the DI with a black one(don't have a red one)just to rule out......NO LUCK.I checked the search but only found what I already did;oops:
How well exactly, is your baby running , 5Series?
Code CEL and codes are for emissions not for the drive-ability qualities of the car.
http://www.troublecodes.net/VW/96-00mot.shtml
Of course the two are related, to an extent...
Of course, Hkayssi and PMI are correct, there may well be some disturbed crud in the system, somewhere.
Start with the fuel filter....this is most logical..
But I ran the VW totally out of fuel one time, and nothing happened, except my red face;oops: ...The Saab and VW are rather similar...

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Actually it's not uncommon to have sediments at the bottom of the tank. The car is already more than 10 years old. Sediments are accumulating at the bottom of the tank from rust and rust particles from older tanks in gas stations. You can get some gas from the bottom of one tank if you're unlucky or even several times over the lifetime of a car. That's why I try to avoid going too low on gas.

My dad was a BMW dealer and his brand new BMW started ideling rough on him once and started hesitating and cutting. He got it to the service people and they opened the car. an hour later they cam up with the filter cut in half. FULL with rust that looked like sand. So that scenario definetly happens. Oh and the car was 6 months old :eek:. He thinks it happened on an old country road where he filled gas. The gas station was old but he had no choice but to fillup.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok guyz,sounds good one fuel filter comming up.Keep you posted.

hkayssi said:
Actually it's not uncommon to have sediments at the bottom of the tank. The car is already more than 10 years old. Sediments are accumulating at the bottom of the tank from rust and rust particles from older tanks in gas stations. You can get some gas from the bottom of one tank if you're unlucky or even several times over the lifetime of a car. That's why I try to avoid going too low on gas.

My dad was a BMW dealer and his brand new BMW started ideling rough on him once and started hesitating and cutting. He got it to the service people and they opened the car. an hour later they cam up with the filter cut in half. FULL with rust that looked like sand. So that scenario definetly happens. Oh and the car was 6 months old :eek:. He thinks it happened on an old country road where he filled gas. The gas station was old but he had no choice but to fillup.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It runs really good,I added the best injector cleaner and ran it really hard around 110 to 120 mph for a few miles. Having trouble finding a bosch fuel filter is there anything else I can use.I also unpluged the IAC and the bouncing tach stoped(can it be the IAC?) I also reset the CEL. It showed anothe code p0135,I only changed the front sensor.

earthworm said:
How well exactly, is your baby running , 5Series?
Code CEL and codes are for emissions not for the drive-ability qualities of the car.
http://www.troublecodes.net/VW/96-00mot.shtml
Of course the two are related, to an extent...
Of course, Hkayssi and PMI are correct, there may well be some disturbed crud in the system, somewhere.
Start with the fuel filter....this is most logical..
But I ran the VW totally out of fuel one time, and nothing happened, except my red face;oops: ...The Saab and VW are rather similar...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts