SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995 saab 900s 2.3L
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1995 saab 900s 2.3l non turbo, convertible

Changed the head gasket but now on start up it idles rough. I changed all vacuum lines with head gasket repair. It will idle but it almost sounds like its mis firing but all four cylinders are infact firing. And if I rev it on idle it will die out apon return to idle rpm

·
Registered
10,126 Posts
Given you had the head checked by a machine shop and there is no reason to suspect a head gasket leak, check your cam timing. Probably one or both sprockets are not properly set

·
Registered
1995 saab 900s 2.3L
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So how do I go about checking this properly.

Also i should add on some start ups it will rev up and down ranging from 500rpm to 2500rpm. Other it sounds like its misfiring
Spark plugs tips are a little white. And engine bay seems a bit hotter then usual.

And also I wasn't sure if my catalytic converter got plugged while burning coolant... Only problem with that is I cant unbolt the cat to see if it runs better because the previous owner had the whole exhaust rebuild and welded it solid. Lol

·
Registered
19,439 Posts
So how do I go about checking this properly.

Also i should add on some start ups it will rev up and down ranging from 500rpm to 2500rpm. Other it sounds like its misfiring
Spark plugs tips are a little white. And engine bay seems a bit hotter then usual.

And also I wasn't sure if my catalytic converter got plugged while burning coolant... Only problem with that is I cant unbolt the cat to see if it runs better because the previous owner had the whole exhaust rebuild and welded it solid. Lol
Can you unbolt the downpipe from the manifold? I don't know much about non-turbo 2.3's, but I assume there's a connection there.

·
Registered
19,439 Posts
Yes I could . Would it still run fine? Just loud as hell? Lol
We do it on turbos to test. They have the turbo in there to quiet it a little. The 2.3 obviously would not... and I'd make sure that there's no way for the flames to burn anything important since there's nothing blocking them.

As for the code... I believe the 1995 is pre OBD II (1996) standards. See this recent thread: 95 saab 900s trouble codes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts