SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I was curious if the stock roof rails from a 9-5 wagon might fit on a 2001 9-3? I know the length would probably have to be modified, I am concerned with the mounting feet. Since it is extremely difficult to find stock rails for a 9-3, I thought this might be an option. Thanks everyone ?

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Note that 9-5 wagons could have permanent side rails or not. The ones with side rails take a completely different cross-bar than 9-5 wagons and sedans without roof rails. Obviously the former won't fit whatsoever. The latter, I have my doubts about.

In general, I seem to see as many, if not more, NG900/OG9-3 roof racks than I see them for 9-5s.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Note that 9-5 wagons could have permanent side rails or not. The ones with side rails take a completely different cross-bar than 9-5 wagons and sedans without roof rails. Obviously the former won't fit whatsoever. The latter, I have my doubts about.

In general, I seem to see as many, if not more, NG900/OG9-3 roof racks than I see them for 9-5s.
Hmmm, here in Michigan unfortunately that isn’t the case. It seems no one here ordered their car with them when new. I’ll just have to continue to keep an eye out for a set. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
Cap'n, if you're looking for permanently bolted-on roof rails for a 9-3, they never existed. All Saab ever offered for the NG900 and 9-3 were temporary load bars that attached to holes behind the weatherstripping on the doors. If you're having trouble finding those, expand your search to 900 parts if you haven't already, since the NG900 used the same load bars as the 9-3. The permanently-attached roof rails for the 9-5 bolted through the roof, and there was a system of gaskets and special inset metal pieces that kept everything sealed up. There are four bolts per side that hold them on, accessed through holes in the roof supports. Due to the roof curvature and the gasket system, I don't think you could ever get those to fit on a 9-3.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cap'n, if you're looking for permanently bolted-on roof rails for a 9-3, they never existed. All Saab ever offered for the NG900 and 9-3 were temporary load bars that attached to holes behind the weatherstripping on the doors. If you're having trouble finding those, expand your search to 900 parts if you haven't already, since the NG900 used the same load bars as the 9-3. The permanently-attached roof rails for the 9-5 bolted through the roof, and there was a system of gaskets and special inset metal pieces that kept everything sealed up. There are four bolts per side that hold them on, accessed through holes in the roof supports. Due to the roof curvature and the gasket system, I don't think you could ever get those to fit on a 9-3.
Awesome Jeremy!! I’ll definitely do a search with that information. That is extremely helpful. I knew about the holes under the weatherstripping, I could just never find the rails for them. Hopefully I will have better luck with your info. Thanks and have an exceptional day!!

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
As Jeremy pointed out, anything to do with the 9-5 is not going to work.

Saab provided OEM roof racks that fit beautifully. The 1994-1998 900 and 1999-2002 9-3 racks are the same, however note the following points:

1. The rack sets are different for the sedan (four or five doors depending on how you count them) versus for the coupé (three door). Sedans use two identical racks with locating pins on the feet, call them Type A. Coupés use one Type A and a different rack with locating slots instead of pins for the back, call them Type B. You want the right set (I assume a 2001 9-3 will be a sedan. Fortunately sedan sets are likely more common.)
  2. Racks for 2003-up 9-3 won't fit.
  3. The one thing that can go wrong is the screw that tightens the rack against the car can seize up. I would want good confirmation that they do indeed turn.
Here's a set for the coupé: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Saab-OEM-9...158936&hash=item2acd6ffb93:g:~zgAAOSwXRJc9ba-

For a sedan, you want a set where both bars have pins instead of one with pins and one with slots.

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
Those are some pricey racks! :eek: I'm glad I bought a pair for $50 years ago when they were just some old racks off an old Saab, and nothing particularly rare or valuable. I picked up a very nice set of factory roof racks for a 9-5 wagon at Pick-n-Pull a few weeks ago for $20. I had to take the rails for the car with them since there were no keys for the racks. That was a fun job, pulling the headliner out and unbolting the roof rails. Fortunately they're pretty light.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts