SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i drive a1994 900s three door. My car has the removable clips above the rear windows, but not above the front doors. So do i need to buy the oem rear towers and just get the clips for the thule traverse on the front? or would the 9-3 ss c towers work?

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
Hi i drive a1994 900s three door. My car has the removable clips above the rear windows, but not above the front doors. So do i need to buy the oem rear towers and just get the clips for the thule traverse on the front? or would the 9-3 ss c towers work?
Find the Saab OEM racks. You want them for a three-door. The attachment is different for the front and back (unlike the five-door OEM racks).

Not sure how non-OEM Thule etc. would mount up....I use the OEM ones and they work great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Find the Saab OEM racks. You want them for a three-door. The attachment is different for the front and back (unlike the five-door OEM racks).

Not sure how non-OEM Thule etc. would mount up....I use the OEM ones and they work great.
Thanks edt, ive been scouring the internet for them, and they seem pretty tough to comKnow of any site that may have them?e by.

·
Registered
607 Posts

The non-OEM work the same as the OEM--you have to remove the little black plaster strip that covers the rear hook. I have this on my three door saab.

If you already have a Thule rack, you need the fitkit for the 900 3-door, and the aero towers. Works great. If you're desperate I can hunt down the fitkit number.

Sorry, I just realized that the point of confusion was the FRONT. That works the same as on the 5 door 900 and hooks around a piece in the weatherstrip. I can snap a photo of mine and try to post if you want.

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
Thanks edt, ive been scouring the internet for them, and they seem pretty tough to comKnow of any site that may have them?e by.
For Saab OEM roof racks, the front one is the same for all 900/9-3s. However, on coupés, the rear rack is different.

The "standard" four-door racks come up quite often here in Ontario. This spring someone advertised coupé racks and I snapped them up.

I actually have another set which came with the car. Because the previous owner left them on the car permanently (thus affecting the fuel economy noticeably) one of the locking screws was rusty and broke. I think it's for the front rack.

I'd sell the old racks to you cheap/free (they're still usable), but shipping to Alaska from Ontario would be expensive and the border mgiht be a hassle.

The non-OEM work the same as the OEM--you have to remove the little black plaster strip that covers the rear hook. I have this on my three door saab.
Hmm, do you put this black plastic strip back on, or is it a one-time removal? There were racks on the car when I bought it, and no black plastic strip to be seen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@edt, the little plastic plugs can be put back in, im just going to order the 229 fit kit by thule for my car, as i have a perfectly good thule rack id like to use, thanks much for the offer though!

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
@edt, the little plastic plugs can be put back in, im just going to order the 229 fit kit by thule for my car, as i have a perfectly good thule rack id like to use, thanks much for the offer though!
I guess I need to look out for these plugs.

How many Saabs are there up in Alaska? How's Saab support?

When I was up in Dawson City making various trips in '95, there were a lot of Ford pickups, with '50s era cars in Fairbanks. Anchorage seemed full of generic cars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, there are mostly subarus up here, but theres a decent sized saab following. There are a ton of c900's cruising around and a few 9000's. Anchorage is a car killer though, just because we're right on the coast and we have pretty harsh winters, cars rust out pretty quick here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts