SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've got a 9-3 Linear Convertible - Has anyone else had problems with the roof mechanism cutting though the wiring loom including the connection to their rear window heater? When we’ve looked at it the wire is actually threaded through the roof mechanism so every time the roof has gone up/ down its been rubbing on the wires.

I’ve spoken to the local Saab workshop and Saab themselves – they’ve never heard of it happening and as we’re just out of warranty Saab have offered to pay 40% of the cost.

Thing is – I don’t think this is something that should ever happen – we had issues with our roof last year when a day after having warranty work on the roof hydraulic fluid started leaking when I opened the roof.

My gut feeling is that this issue may be connected to the above but regardless of what has caused it I don’t think we should be paying anything for this fix as its obviously a fault.

- I’d love to hear from anyone with any advice/ similar experiences

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I'd escalate that if I were you. They have never heard of it happening and it has happened on your car after other work was performed on the hood.

Occams razor says this was because the car was not put back together properly after the last wwty work.

Which Essex you in? I was in the one in CT yesterday, or do you mean the one in England!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah - that's my feeling too - Saab are now saying the garage should contact their technical bods so I'll wait and see what happens. We've taken photo's to prove the loom is going through the roof mechanism.

Yup I'm in Essex England!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sezdee - we've had the exact same problem with an '05 ARC Vert. The top mechanism suddenly stopped working. Brought the car in and service diagnosed a "bent 5th bow" as if it was a mechanical problem, then stated they had to re-program the car's computer (??). Whatever - it worked; for the moment.

Same problem 2 weeks later. This time they diagnosed the electro-hydraulic system needed to be replaced. I didn't bother to ask - it was working again.

2 more weeks go by and guess what? The wife (this is her car) blows a hissy fit at the service manager and they finally find the pinched/severed wire harness you described. Turns out all along that the short existed in the rear defrost wiring. When we thought about it, teh top stopped working right after it had rained. Turning on the rear defrost was blowing the main circuit fuse in the rear fuse panel, which happens to protect the convertible top mechanism as well.

Our dealer (SAAB of Westport) has been great in terms of giving us loaners and takign the car on short notice. Why it took 3 tries to find the real source of the problem is the frustrating part.

Short answer - I suspect this is a bigger issue than SAAB is willing to acknowledge. Our repairs were all covered under warranty, but i'd fight for 100% coverage.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that - interestingly enough the reason we found the fault was the rear window heater stopped working - Mr sezdee opened the access panel you use to manually wind the roof down and found the fault himself (so I guess that saved us waiting for the garage to work it out themselves!!)

We're waiting for them to get back to us....

·
Registered
30 Posts
My convertible had a recall to update the hood system (15440) - it involved fitting additional cable ties but I am not sure if this was for wiring or hydraulics. Might be worth checking if your car had this...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hiya,

Yeah I had that done last year - next day one of the cables broke and poured hydraulic fluid all over the interior!!
Had the Saab Zone manager out to look at it yesterday and they eventually agreed to pay 60% of the cost of the fix.

.....after we agreed to pay 40% of the cost and the fix had been applied the service manager let it slip that the cable had now been 're-routed correctly and insulated' :evil: so I'm now left thinking I've been done as surely it should have been routed correctly in the first place, we should never have had the problem and shouldn't have paid for it either Grrrr!!

My advice - check it before you're out of warranty - its fairly easy to access - lift the flap where you would access the manual wind down and look to see if your wire is going though the mechanism (and check for wear!) - you can also check it while the roof is half up/ down as you can see in to the mechanism that way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts