SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It happened about a week ago, my sister in law was driving and she lost control, the car slid sideways and went into a ditch and flipped about 1.5 times and landed on its roof. Thank God she is ok(side air bag deployed), the car looks like a total loss and unfortunatly we dident have full coverage insurance. its a 01 v6 with only 95k on it and was running great and looked new up until this point, timing belt and new tires on it was done not to long ago. i was able to start the car after i emptied the oil from the cylinders. it still started up and ran great, im debating weather i should part the car out or try to fix it. what do you guys think? thank you saab for your well built safe cars.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
707 Posts
Ouch, that's a bummer.

Personally I don't think it's worth repairing. With all the structural damage to the roof, all the broken glass, and all the bad body damage you're looking at a really hefty bill.

I'd part out whatever you can and put it towards another one. 100k+ mile 9-5's are cheap.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea i was leaning towards the part out, i guess its really not worth fixing and i know it wont be the same again. im going to get almost everything from the car and i would have to cut it up to send over to a metal recyclers. i wish i had full coverage insurance.

·
Registered
215 Posts
"No one can understand why Saabs cost so much... Until you're in an accident." ~Top Gear

Glad to hear the sister is OK.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
That car is too far gone to bring back. Glad your SIL is ok, but how do you "lose control" and roll a car? If you're driving responsibly, it's not raining, you have new tires, the maintenance is up to date and you're not texting, on a cell phone call or driving too fast, I'm not clear on how this happens? Hate to say it, but your SIL owes you a car....

·
Registered
943 Posts
you know what's amazing....you rolled the car and all the coins stayed in the coin holder;ol;...so at least with saabs when you wreck you can still make it through the toll booths!

j/k though, I'd like the right front door trim when you decide to part it out. Also, since the sunroof is busted, I'd like to buy the entire wind deflector arm from you if it isn't broken as well.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Honestly the damage looks waay too severe to not be a total loss. Couple that with likely frame damage after a rollover incident and it's pretty much cut and dried.

I say a part out is probably the way to go. I might be looking for some small interior parts in the coming weeks, and I know there's always a decent market for engine parts and exterior trim.

Glad to hear everyone is safe. Having been in a fairly major accident in a Saab myself and coming out completely unscathed, I know firsthand Trollhattan does know how to engineer the safest cars out there!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'! LOL Glad your sister came out ok! Definitely have my vote to part it out. Interior and engine should help you come out ahead. The body is pretty much junk. Nice to know they can handle the brunt of a roll-over!;ol;

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is exactly why I don't let others drive my cars. I agree with the others, too much damage to save. At least its a good example of just how safe these Saabs are.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im just glad she is ok, cars can be replaced and people can't. i hav no idea how she lost control, were still waiting for the police report. i guess i have to get ready to part this thing out. im glad i have a WIS to use as i will really need it.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
hurts to see that poor Saab SIL ok is good, but the "car left the road" is tough to swallow.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Reminds me that my sister flipped my 1976 Cosworth Vega in '86 on the NSP on Long Island. She hit a patch of "black ice', she was OK, car not so much, every piece of metal was bent. Used it a donor car to build a Cosworth "clone". Funny thing was that the car had EFI and continued to run upside down and had to be turned off via the key.
Had collision on it and got enough to get another one in addition to building the clone. Wreck cost me about $500 to buy back from Insurance Co.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^^^ wow crazy video. weird thing is i thought when an airbag deploys the engine would shut off automatically, the saab did not, when it rolled and was on its back, the engine continued to run until it was shut off. and also dont they have a roll over air bag sensor that should deploy all airbags in the car when in a roll over?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ouch, that's a bummer.

Personally I don't think it's worth repairing. With all the structural damage to the roof, all the broken glass, and all the bad body damage you're looking at a really hefty bill.

I'd part out whatever you can and put it towards another one. 100k+ mile 9-5's are cheap.
I agree. Way too much body damage to be worth it to fix. You could easily sell various parts and re-coupe some of your losses.

On that note.... how much do you want for the wood trim piece that goes around the shifter? Assuming you're parting it out, that is.

·
Registered
363 Posts
^^^ wow crazy video. weird thing is i thought when an airbag deploys the engine would shut off automatically, the saab did not, when it rolled and was on its back, the engine continued to run until it was shut off. and also dont they have a roll over air bag sensor that should deploy all airbags in the car when in a roll over?
First, glad your sister was aright. Hate to see the saab in this shape, but it did its job and protected the occupants. Stuff like this helps us remember what's most important in life.

I can shed the light on a few of the questions about how things work. For a rollover event, there is no benefit to depoying the front airbags. Front airbags inflate and deflate quickly for a frontal event - they don't remain inflated for a relatively long event like a rollover. Their job is to slow your deceleration (the occupant's) only in the forward direction.

The benefit in a roll is to deploy the seatbelt pre-tensioners so that the passengers are held in their seat during the event. Also, side bags provide some benefit as you likely hit the side of the interior during the event and they stay inflated for a longer period of time. this car doesn't have it, but curtain airbags also provide two benefits: cushion any impact with the side of the interior and occupant, and also they tend to stay inflated and cover the windows to help prevent occupants from being ejected during a roll event. Ejection is the number one way you are killed in a rollover event.

And by roll above, I am referring to a sideways type roll, like this one appears to have been. That covers most rollover events. There is another type of roll event, longitudinal roll (picture front end down rolling end to end rather than side to side), where side bags wouldn't help. But, IIRC, it's less than 15% of rollover events.

I think the Saab does have fuel cutoff after a crash. but, I think it was added in 02, when the airbag ECU was updated to newer hardware. The feature is there to stop fuel from being pumped into the engine, and not necessarily to shut the engine off - it does that just by fuel starvation.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts