SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I bought these rims for a set of snows.

Manufacturer/Model: VOXX Toscana
Size: 16"x7"
Bolt Pattern: 5-110
Offset / Backspacing: 40mm offset/ 5.57 back spacing

I thought I had done the research I needed and these seemed to fit based on the info above. While they do fit over the front calipers of my 2004 Aero (barely), they do rub just a bit on the inside edge of the 2 front wheels. I'm not quite sure how to describe it, but the front (outer) portion of the rim doesn't seem to have any trouble other than being VERY close to the rim. The rear (inner) portion of the rim is rubbing on the inner portion of the brake caliper assembly. It appears the caliper assembly gets slightly larger on the inside of the car.

Its rubbing at a point on the rim about 1/2" from where the rim profile starts to open up or expand. My question to you all is do you think I could get away with using a wheel spacer that would push the rim out the amount I need thereby giving the caliper enough room? I'm not familiar with wheel spacers and I'm a bit hesitant. I'm sure I'd need longer lug bolts as a result. Is this a bad idea?

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
The offset of that particular wheel is certainly about the same as the factory Aero wheel but of course an inch smaller in diameter. You could probably get away with running a 5mm spacer all around and using longer diameter bolts as well which are pretty available from places like the Tire Rack or a local tire and wheel place.

I personally searched long and hard to find spacers with that particular bolt pattern and finally bought some from a company called FK which is a suspension and tuning company primarily focusing on Volkswagen/Audi cars. H&R doesn't seem to make them which would have been my first choice.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
What tyre size are you using on the rims? I have a lowered suspension with aftermarket wheels with a 40 offset with no rubbing problems.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tires are these.

Manufacturer/Model: Hankook Winter iPike W409
Size: 215/55R-16
Load Rating/Speed Rating: 97 T

but it's not the tires that are rubbing, it's the rims themselves. Metal on Metal. What was odd is that they didn't bind uniformly as the wheel spun. It would bind in one or two areas, not the entire wheel circumference which was odd, but it was the same on both front wheels.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Put some spacers in, job done ;)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are any kind of spacers okay? Any one know the lug bolt size and thread? What else do I need to know before buying just anything? Paul mentioned 5mm, but that's only about 1/4"...I don't think that will be enough. I'm thinking more like 10-15 at least. I'm new at the whole aftermarket rim thing and I appreciate all your advice.

Next task is to order spacers and longer lug bolts. Anything I should look out for?

Thanks
Nate

1 - 6 of 6 Posts