SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure one of my CV joints is going out on the right side of the car. Is there a way to determine whether the inner or outer joint is failing? Symptoms are a fairly loud popping noise when pressing on the accelerator. Also, the car sometimes shakes when accelerating. Letting off the accelerator makes the shaking go away immediately.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Popping noise on a hard right would indicate outer. I think inner may be the problem. Have you been able to get under it yet?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Popping noise on a hard right would indicate outer. I think inner may be the problem. Have you been able to get under it yet?
Yes I have been able to get under it. I had the whole assembly including intermediate shaft off last summer to do an engine pull. All the boots were intact then, and still are. This was an existing problem from before I acquired this Saab. Had I known then, that there was an issue, I would have removed the boots and looked for the problem then.

I'm looking at the parts diagram on the Orio parts portal. How often does the intermediate shaft wear out? I also see a part listed that Orio calls the companion flange. According to the diagram, this part #4544763 fits inside the intermediate shaft and lists for $731.66. How often do these 2 parts wear out. It makes sense to me, to replace the tripod bearing, the drive shaft, outer CV joint while I'm making this repair, as the parts are not incredibly expensive. Would rather not have to replace the intermediate shaft and companion flange unless absolutely necessary, because they're so expensive.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I don't know about the longevity of the intermediate shaft assembly. I am looking at the WIS and EPC to try see everything. But if the intermediate shaft shows no signs of wear such as being loose at the trans or bearing where cv fits in, it still sounds like the inner cv. If it feels tight concentrate on the axle. Rebuilt ones are cheap.

Is the mount that you bolt to the block at the end of where the intermediate shaft ends and cv goes in tight? No cracks? Mounts tight? I broke one on
a 9-5 because I didn't line everything up correctly.

Check if the wheel hub has any movement in it, front wheel bearing maybe. Still sounds like inner CV.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
I've rarely, if ever, heard of anyone replacing the intermediate shaft on a 9-3. On a 9-3 (every year except '99 and the Viggen), the companion flange is part of the intermediate shaft. It's part number 5057674. I would just buy a rebuilt CV axle and see what that fixes. They're typically around $50 at any auto parts store, and will include the inner and outer joints. Just stay away from the new ones. They're poorly made, and will break far sooner than a rebuilt one will.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts