SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone really speak to how much difference there is in terms of ride quality between the two? I have an Arc and finally just ordered Aero wheels and am a bit concerened about the change in ride quality as I am in Chicago. On the other hand, the look of the car changes dramatically with the Aero wheels and the lower profile. Is it the rims that make the biggest difference, or is it really the tires/sidewalls that cause a much harsher ride? All your thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
lbh2315 said:
Can anyone really speak to how much difference there is in terms of ride quality between the two? I have an Arc and finally just ordered Aero wheels and am a bit concerened about the change in ride quality as I am in Chicago. On the other hand, the look of the car changes dramatically with the Aero wheels and the lower profile. Is it the rims that make the biggest difference, or is it really the tires/sidewalls that cause a much harsher ride? All your thoughts are appreciated.
HEY, fellow Chicago resident :). I am in NW indiana right over state line:)

I have a vector with 17s. Rid quality is great. Keep the tires at 35psi. It also depends on the tires as well. I have Pirelli 4 seasons (brand new came with the car, so I am not complaining). If you are not happy with the 17s, you can alway go 225-50-17 instead of 225-45-17, it will make ride a bit softer. I used to have a Nissan Maxima with 17's and stock tires were 225-50-17, but there is very limited selection in that size, so I went with 225-55-17 and ride became much softer.
So, overall you will not be disappointed. Just make sure to balance them on the roadforce machine to 1/4 of an ounce and keep them inflated to 35psi and lugs tourqued with a tourque wranch to 80-82 lb/ft.
By the way, where are you located? If you need comfort close enabled, I know a place :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I will be running on Michelin Pilot AS 225/45ZR 17s with the new 5 spoke Aero wheels I got from a private seller. I actually live in the Wicker Park neighborhood of Chicago - just a stone's throw from the "Region". I think I am taking the car to Saabtech in Lincoln Park to have them do the wheels - dealers are too expensive and probably will not do it right. BTW, I had the comfort close done and my dealer did about 20 other great TEch II changes and they have been great.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
in my opinion, there is a considerable difference in ride quality between the 16's and 17's. i have driven on 15's (came stock), 16's (had loaner for over a month), and 17's (currently on my car). the 15's and 16's have a similar ride quality, but the 17's are noticibly harsher. you can feel every bump in the road, but corner handling is greatly improved. if you're looking for a soft ride, 17's are really out of the question (especially if you have the sports suspension). ride quality has nothing to do with the rims on your car...but keep in mind, if you increase your rim diameter, sidewall should come down to prevent speedometer inaccuracy and rubbing issues. 17's will be harsher due to the stiffer sidewall and less cushion to absorb bumps in the road. you must also be careful of potholes...chances of bending a rim is much greater with the 17's.

·
Registered
98 Posts
ride quality 16 vs 17's

im running 18's on my aero they are the light sport alloy and ride quality is fine
had them on a vector tid before but the aero seems to run better on them tyres are 225 45 18 but are dear in the uk as the only other manufacturer to use this size is maserati

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have not noticed much - on standard suspension

I test drove 2004 Arc with 16 inch wheels and then 2005 Vector with 17 inch and not noticed much difference but Vector with 17 inch had a bit more grip to keep the front wheels from spinning off. So I bought (last week) a 2005 Vector 9-3 sedan/saloon automatic and it rides quite well on 17 inch wheels - in fact it rides much better than my 1999 C240 C-class Mercedes-Benz with Sport suspension and 16 inch wheels. Note that 2005 Vector 9-3 has standard suspension in Australia just like Arc does even though it rides on 17 inch wheels. The 9-3 Aero that I drove in 2003/2004 was firmer riding on it's lowered sports suspension even though it had the same size wheels and same tyres (P-Zero Rosso in my case). I am not sure what suspension settings you get elsewhere in the world with 17 inch wheels on Vector/Aero but I think that standard (i.e. non-Aero) suspension is best overall if you drive on roads with variable quality.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts