SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have just fitted shocks and springs ( from a SAAB roadholding kit ) to my '96 9000. The ride height is higher than I would have expected, especially at the front. Do the new parts take time to bed in, or could there be something wrong ?

Cheers, Vit

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Ride height is determined by spring length and stiffness. There is no "bedding in" process.Different model years had different ride heights. The later bodyshell after 1992 had a higher ride height but I thought that was tires: 195/65x15 instead of 195/60 x15 as on pre 1993 cars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks to me like one side (on the front) is about 10mm lower than the other. :confused: . Since this was a SAAB kit ( with the front units supplied as a shock , spring and all the bushes already built ), then can I assume that something has gone wrong in the installation . Or is it that variations can occur in spring length once they are under compression ? Or is there something else to look for ??

·
Registered
692 Posts
my abbott springs took about 3months to settle. The fronts were far too high to start with but I precivered,
Saab springs shouldnt need bedding in as I think they are pre-compressed but you never know. If the car is squint then there is a problem as it's probably worse than it looks too - as the ARB will try to twist it back. Check it out...

Phil

PS - make sure you inspect on totally level ground and get a ruler out!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I went out to take some pictures/measurements this lunchtime and things seems to have settled down. Same height at the front wheels and also at the back. Maybe the new springs/new bushes needed another 20miles to settle. The ride is so much better then the old shocks / springs :cheesy:, with very little body roll now and braking seem somehow more sure.

Thanks for the replies and help !

Vit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts