SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can't decide!! its the Rial Nogaro or the MSR 044.

Also, I'm troubled with the size. I WANT 18", but 17 is much more practical. I will only get 18" if I can get about the same sidewall SIZE as a 215/45-17...I'll just get my system or whatever reprogrammed for the speedometer to properly read/display with the new tire size.

If 18" I will get whatever fits, be it 225/45 or 235/40(want thicker sidewall here, but won't look as good on 17s)

If 17", I'd get 225/45 or 235/45, in order to keep a thick enough side wall. I figure

-Both look Sporty
-the MSR look OEM
-the Rials look like the BBS RX on the Vig vert

Which wheel/size should I get?? I can't decide!!!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
SB58

Go with the 18s, as long as they aren't too much heavier than the 17s. I've used two sets of 17s and two sets of 18s on my Viggen and ironically the 18s have been much lighter :cheesy:. Just make sure you get a high sidewall rating for the 18s. I've never bent a rim on the 18s and I've driven them more than the 17s.

Goodluck!

P.S. post some links so we can see the wheels (I'm too lazy to look them up!)

Rogo

·
Registered
771 Posts
Rogozhin said:
SB58

Go with the 18s, as long as they aren't too much heavier than the 17s. I've used two sets of 17s and two sets of 18s on my Viggen and ironically the 18s have been much lighter :cheesy:. Just make sure you get a high sidewall rating for the 18s. I've never bent a rim on the 18s and I've driven them more than the 17s.

Goodluck!

P.S. post some links so we can see the wheels (I'm too lazy to look them up!)

Rogo
I've always found 18 excessive

the bigger the rim the less whp, doesn't matter if there lighter or not. Its the fact that the rotarional mass is further out which means more power is required to turn it

The best example I saw of this was actually on like dream car garage or something on speed, where they dyno a car after putting 18's and cams on the car and lost 10 hp from the previous dyno, and even tho the 18's where lighter than the factory rims they lost hp

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
well now, I can not get the General Exclaim UHP in anything less than a 245 with a 45 aspect ratio. But I want 35+ :( So if I do 17", is it wrong to think that I would fit 245 under my arches, without rubbing or anything?(on either 17" or 18" wheels)
plus the cheapest for 235/45-18 is Kumho Ecstas..with lower ratings, at $126 per tire and 28 pounds a piece!!

I guess I will have to "bear with" 17 until I can afford larger, forged wheels. Which will likely be after there is extra power to back that up!!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
he bigger the rim the less whp, doesn't matter if there lighter or not. Its the fact that the rotarional mass is further out which means more power is required to turn it
That is not true. Unsprung weight is the most important aspect of axle to tire variable NOT wheel diameter.

I have a viggen, I know for a fact that my 18" primes (that weigh only 15lbs per wheel (and 33lbs with tires) shod with general exclaims-225x40x18s) outperform all threee sets of 17" wheels I've used on my car.

Get the 18s.

Rogo

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
MFyoung is right - for 2 wheels of equal weight and equal diameter the bigger rim will require more energy to brake , accelerate and turn due to the concentration of rotating mass further from the center. For maximum performance you want to go with the lightest wheel and tyre combo and this often means actualy running 17" or even 16" rims. If you are worried about tyre deflection under cornering you may want to look at how your car rolls as well - better springs, ARB's and shocks etc. I ran 18" wheels and they were horrible - 16" with good rubber outperform them in every way (except perhaps looks).

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
aww ****, I think I have to go with the 17" Rial Nogaro. the MSR 044 in 18" With 225/45/18 Continental ContiExtremeContact are still cheaper than the 17" Rials with 225/45/27 Exclaims. But The 18's are certainly heavier, at 22 pounds a tire versus one, and 25 pound shipping weight vs 22 pound wheel..so maybe close, but the 18's won't come mounted/balanced, aren't being ordered for a specific vehicle, therefore likely lacking the hubcentric rings, and are a darker silver with polished, machined lip. The Rials are probably lighter, are mounted and balanced, an awesome silver color, not to mention the price is with the road hazzard program.

now: 225 or 245??? stock 215/45-17 rides and looks good.
225/45 is thicker, rides the best, and will offer the most protection.
245/40 is between the two in sidewall height, but the tire is wider than both.

With a 245mm width, Am I pretty much guaranteed to rub? Or should/may I be alright??

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
I'd go with the Rials 17" / 225/45R17s. The ride is more comftable with the 17". 18" are too harsh and you'll endup bending a few in no time on Michigan roads ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Personally, I've always liked the look of the Rial Nogaro (and similar styles from other makes). I think they will look great. Just make sure to post pics.
Which one of your cars are these going on?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
hkayssi said:
Yea those are great and EXPENSIVE :cry: not to mention the price of performance tires for those :eek:
Wow :eek: ; I assumed the 18s he was looking at were close in price range to the O.Z.; that's why I suggested them... But yeah; at this big a price difference go with the 17s; they will perform better for you ;)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I love those OZ wheels, but I can't spend that much right now.

They are going on the 1999 Viggen, it needs a set since we have 6 straight-looking Viggen rims but only two that are not bent.

Will the 245/40-17 tires clear if I roll my fenders?? Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts