SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm going to replace the RH engine mount today (passenger side USA), and I just need to know one thing because my Haynes does not cover mount replacement:roll:. What do I have to remove? P/S pump? Is that it or is there going to be more to it than that? Thanks!:cool:

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
You need a jack under the engine, the rest is pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I know that you need a jack and a block of wood under the engine. I was just wondering if I need to unbolt much other than the engine mount itself. Does the P/S pump even have to come of or would that just make it easier?

I was feeling very confident about doing this in a couple of hours until I looked down in there and it frightened me:eek::cheesy:.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
84Saab900TURBO said:
Yeah, I know that you need a jack and a block of wood under the engine. I was just wondering if I need to unbolt much other than the engine mount itself. Does the P/S pump even have to come of or would that just make it easier?

I was feeling very confident about doing this in a couple of hours until I looked down in there and it frightened me:eek::cheesy:.
Just go for it and figure it out as you go. HAVE NO FEAR!

ATTACK!
:cheesy:

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ubermich said:
ATTACK!
:cheesy:
yaaaaEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! [warcry]

:( [warface]

:nono;[disciplining SAAB face]

:D[how I want my face to look when I'm done face]

Now all I need is a Dr. Pepper and a couple socket wrenches!!!!!:p

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
84Saab900TURBO said:
yaaaaEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! [warcry]

:( [warface]

:nono;[disciplining SAAB face]

:D[how I want my face to look when I'm done face]

Now all I need is a Dr. Pepper and a couple socket wrenches!!!!!:p
That's the spirit. Might I recommend a Dublin Dr. Pepper?

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
I always thought a couple packs of Marlboro Reds were much better than a Dr Pepper in regards to auto repair, (since a few drips of dirty 10/30 affects the taste... though positively!) until I had a couple of conflagurations occur. I kinda decided after that that to enjoy things after I had the work done...

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
YAY! I got it done!:p The warcry must've done it:D.

For the reference of others who might have to do this job in the future - I did not have to remove anything except the mount itself. Here's whachya do:
  1. You need to reach around to the bottom of the engine mount. There are two threaded rods that are attatched to the mount and that go through a couple holes on the bracket that it sits on. Take off the nuts on both of these (13 mm socket wrench works best).
  2. Get a floor jack and a piece of wood. You need to put the wood between the jack and the diff. housing. Jack the jack up enough so that there is some tension there, but don't start lifting the engine yet.
  3. Next you need to take out the main bolt that goes through the center of the mount with a 17 mm socket or end wrench...push really hard and use a hammer if you have to. There is no nut on the other end.
  4. Once that bolt is out just jack the engine up about 3" or so and then weasel the old mount out and the new one in. Put it all back together.
I know it's a really simple job, it just scared me because I didn't know if I had to remove a ton of stuff or not and I kept trying to figure out what to get off first.:confused: The old mount definitely needed to go though - felt like an oil-soaked sponge:cheesy:.

·
Registered
429 Posts
For an 89 NA the proceedure is this:

1. Jack car and put under jackstands
  2. Take off the two side 17mm nuts
  3. Use a bit of wood on a jack to apply pressure to the side of the engine
  4. Use either a Deep 19mm socket or a 19mm spanner with a 22mm spanner interlocked to give you leverage to take off the middle nut
  5. Jack(with wood) the side of the engine up as much as you can
  6. Work the old one out, you'll have to work out how
  • Put the new one in sideways to make it fit in, then put the center bolt through the hole, dont let it sit on the two side bolts or else it wont go in the center bolt since the engine is on a lean!
  • Make sure it will sit properly and the lower the car and then just tighten the nuts tight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts