SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've never owned a Saab, but I've always admired the 9-3. Could you check out this Craigslist ad and tell me what you think?

How reliable are these? It seems Consumer Reports has given the 2006 a "good" rating for electrical problems, which I've heard we're an issue in previous years. I'm in the process of getting rid of 2002 Jetta that was a nightmare, and I don't want a mess like that again.

Thanks for the input!

Andrew

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/3687507705.html

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Vdubs are an electrical nightmare if you had one with a couple issues, sweet cars, but high maintenance.

That is a hell of a deal and a clean Saab. Lot of miles, but drop 500 and I'd call it even. Plus it's a manual arc, that's the best model IMO, I haven't driven a v6 yet.

Check the front sway bar end links, shocks and struts, power steering pump, brakes fluids and tires.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Clean car, check it out and ask for maintanence history. Offer $4700 cash and see how it goes. It would be a steal.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Clean car, check it out and ask for maintanence history. Offer $4700 cash and see how it goes. It would be a steal.
Exactly. want to be real hardcore check the brakes for wear, tires, ask last time the coils were changed(if they're yellow topped coils and not black then say that you know that they are definitely going to need to be changed in the near future 120 a piece blah blah), clutch also as this will be on it's way out soon if it's original. You should be able to talk them down quite easily if you read up a little on here about the little things this car needs to stay alive.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
High mileage, they're asking a little too much. Try to get it for under $5k. Those wheels weren't from the factory I don't believe.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I agree with the others. Try to get it down to $4800-$5000. The clutch is pretty strong...I'm at 186k miles on the original and no signs of slip. If maintenance records are available, and oil changes check out, go for it!

·
Registered
622 Posts
You also have a linear.. which means the clutch is working even deeper into it's safe zone than the 2.0T

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Hey looks good and nice price. Good advice here and do look at the service records.
Electrical problems were pretty much worked out by MY 06.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just bought a 2005 about a month ago and did it after scouring craigslist. I got mine with 62k miles for 7k. That was over the NADA price but mechanically the car was in great condition and the mileage was lower than normal for the year. With the car you're looking at I'd say the car itself looks to be in great condition. I am not sure why there are aftermarket wheels on it as it doesnt appear to be anything better than what came stock on it, to me that would take it down a bit. The mileage is pretty high and in that price range at least in my neck of the woods you should be able to find one that is closer to 80k miles if you look hard enough.

What I would worry about with that many miles is what pieces on it are about to go soon. Seems like a lot of wear items are going to be due for replacing and even with DIY skills a lot of the parts are simply expensive and any work needing to be done is very pricy. Getting a new clutch, new suspension and new water pump if those things havent been done yet they're likely going to be need to be done while you own it and thats going to cost a couple thousand for those things. So you gotta figure if you're willing to get it cheaper now to get the higher mileage car and simply pay those costs down the road when you need them or do you want to add a couple grand to your price now and look for some lower mileage saabs that will spare you having to deal with those for a longer period of time.

I think though you're looking at the right kind of car. Right now there is just no better bang for your buck out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts