SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if i drive my car around much, then stop and try to put it in reverse to park it, the gear grinds and won't engage. i have to shut off my engine and put it in reverse. does anyone know how to fix this?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Well does it seem to happen only after you have driven around for a while and its hot? Have you been able to sucessfully select the gear on cold starts?

·
Registered
22 Posts
systemshock869 said:
if i drive my car around much, then stop and try to put it in reverse to park it, the gear grinds and won't engage. i have to shut off my engine and put it in reverse. does anyone know how to fix this?
your cable has streched to the limit and will sooner or later snap when the car is cold gear shifting is a ok i presume but as the engine gets hot the cable heats up and then you find that the car will not go into revervse without a clunk, crunch or a big thud when u turn engine of and then select its fine but i think u need to change the cable .

·
Registered
180 Posts
Confused

Silver-Surfer said:
your cable has streched to the limit

what cable ?

System shock was talking about reverse gear not engaging , im confused .
isnt he just talking the symptoms of the Common 900 reverse synchro fault that
they all seem to have at one time or another ?

if i remember rightly my last 900 did exactly what systemshocks car is doing , and if i parked on a slight angle it was more difficult .

Try when you stop to park , select 1st gear and then straight into reverse from 1st before you turn off the engine .

of course i have been known to talk rubbish sometimes :confused:

·
Registered
180 Posts
System Shock

Dear System shock .

i noticed youre desperate on that other posted thread that got closed , i will try to answer your query .

you may be desperate to solve this issue , however im afraid you cannot without ' surgery ' . There is a possible explanation other than what im about to say but its unlikely . My advice to you is to find a way of selecting reverse gear i.e. select 1st then into reverse out of habit , if that doesnt work try 3rd to reverse , if that doesnt work make sure your not parked at an angle leaning your car down and to the right .

if you have spare cash and you cant find a corner cut' to selecting reverse and it bothers you that much , then you will need you gearbox repairing as i am positive this is reverse gear synchro failure .... or the start of it . it wont do any harm , just you will find it hard to select reverse .
i am positive because 900's are prone to this problem and ive had the same problem myself on my last 900. its cureable but not that cheap . what year and mileage is your car?

good luck , try the shifting techniques first if you dont wanna spend cash .

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I'm afraid TurboTempo might be right, it isn't uncommon for the inner workings of the reverse gear to fail, and the only practical solution is to replace the whole gearbox (usually with a good second hand unit). However before you go that far, you should check out the linkage and the clutch cable, as has been suggested. Unfortunately this is a common problem with the first couple years of our cars.

You can check out the transmission section of the FAQ here:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53523

There is some good general background info and some thoughts on how to check the linkage and clutch cable. Basically checking and adjusting these are cheap and easy. They might help, so you should explore them first.

·
Registered
100 Posts
try 1st

Ive had the same problem for 3 years== The advice you have been given is good-- its the reverse synch== I use 1st and then reverse== its still pops out = I just stick it in again==(humn) -It isnt worth fixing I dont think on a 900 that is 8-10 years old. You will get used to i.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
quincy said:
Ive had the same problem for 3 years== The advice you have been given is good-- its the reverse synch== I use 1st and then reverse== its still pops out = I just stick it in again==(humn) -It isnt worth fixing I dont think on a 900 that is 8-10 years old. You will get used to i.
Well, it will cost $$$$ to replace the reverse gear and its sychro, then, what about the other "wear"parts in the transmission ???..

But here in America we expect a car to last 15 years, Volvo, Toyota, and Honda exceed this, but not always...
Body rust is the big problem....
How long does an average car in England last ???

·
Registered
302 Posts
About a year ago I had the exact symptoms as you-- grinding and horrible noises going into reverse. When I first posted about it, I got similar opinions that it must be the tranny dying, that I'd have to learn tricks to accommodate it like shifting into some other gears first then reverse, and I should plan to have the thing rebuilt.

In the end, though, it turned out to be nothing more serious than the so-called "self-adjusting" clutch cable not working as well as it should and needing a manual adjustment.

Of course these guys might be absolutely right, and your transmission might be on the way out. But before you plunge into all that, try giving the cable a tweak. It will take you less than an hour. Worked beautifully for me. Do a search on here for instructions and give it a try-- can't hurt.

Good luck.
T

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bobdotorg said:
I get a privileges error from the above link.
the mods seem to have deleted my thread

i can't find it anywhere

in short, i hydroplaned and flipped off the freeway - liability only

still fully functional, but body messed up - wanting to sell it as a parts car

·
Registered
727 Posts
systemshock869 said:
the mods seem to have deleted my thread

i can't find it anywhere

in short, i hydroplaned and flipped off the freeway - liability only

still fully functional, but body messed up - wanting to sell it as a parts car