SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm scratching my head a bit here. I'm converting an auto to manual, and have a pile of old manual shifters to pick from. It seems there are several different style of reverse lockout bar, each shaped a bit different. Which should I pick? eenie meenie miney mo...

Hope the photos show the details:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,614 Posts
I can't see anything in the first two pictures, but the last is the lock that prevents it from coming out of reverse unless the ignition is turned. Leave it out, it was there to satisfy regulations and was a constant source of trouble.
I disassembled my Mother's brand new '84 to remove it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, that's the lock I'm talking about. It's there in all three photos but the shape is a bit different in each. I guess I could skip it entirely, that's a fourth option I hadn't considered. :lol:
Any reasons not too? Other than making it slightly easier to steal the car?

·
Registered
12,614 Posts
When they steal the car, they pop out the lock with a slide hammer, then a screwdriver works as well as a key.
The lock is there to meet the various countries' regulations that require that the car not be driveable without the key. It serves the same purpose as a steering wheel lock, but you can't have a steering lock with the ignition on the floor. That's the only purpose for the thing.
As I say, I took it out of Mom's brand new car so she'd have no trouble.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jim. Not a bad idea the more I think about it. It'd be nice to be able to roll the car without a key in it myself once in a while.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
When I put in a new ignition barrel/lock cylinder/gearset I omitted the lockout dog.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Does the reverse lockout feature also prevent you from 'accidentally' selecting reverse when going forward if you try to do it without lifting the spring-loaded rod?

I'm having a few issues with my 2.1 sedan and selecting reverse when parking . I had the shifter mech out just recently and did notice the lockout pin appears to have a fair bit of wear so I'm considering getting a new pin and maybe also pulling the whole ignition switch housing out to see what wear there is on the actual lockout cogs underneath it.

Next time I'm under the car I'm going to inspect the rubber shift rod coupler block just in case it might be starting to break.

pic page

Craig.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts