SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have just bought my first 1994 Saab 900S and to be honest I am very impressed with it. It has a FSH and for a car 11 years old is in my opinion is in very good condition.

The problem that I have is with the reverse gear. Gears 1-5 work like new. When I engage reverse gear in order to remove the key I have to hold the gear stick back so I can remove the key or else it pops out, the same happens when I put the car in reverse to drive backwards.

If any of you clever peeps have an idea what is wrong please let me know, is it gearbox, reverse gear or clutch, but if it was would it happen in all gears? Im hoping its something less sinister. Is this a common fault? Im no mechanic but I really would like to know what is wrong before I get stung by a garage, no Saab dealers where I live L .

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.:)

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Welcome Alfi!

The transmissions are problematic, especially on the early 900's like ours. There is a chance that a simple linkage or clutch adjustment can help though.

How much play would you say is in the clutch pedal? Also, does the car grind or anything when you try to put it in reverse, or is it just sort of hard to find?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi J

I would say there is about 3 inch movement on the pedal. It seems to go into gear ok (smooth no crunching and the reversing light come on :) ), I have had it in gear and started moving backwards to find it pops out and maybe too eagerly tried reengaging the gear causing it to crunch, or having what I think is the flywheel spinning around trying to find the gear and clipping the cog, hope you understand what im trying to say. If I hold the the gearstick in place and reverse it seems ok, but can be a bit awkward reversing with one have one the stick and one one the wheel ;) would this happen if it was a damaged cog? Thanks

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
As far as I know, a popping reverse gear is the classic case of a dead synchronizer in the reverse gear assembly. The only hope is to rebuild the transmission. Of course, being that is pretty serious, you might want to try other solutions (Cable, linkage, etc.). Again, the classic symptom of an internal problem in the transmission with the reverse gear is a "popping" reverse.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
OK, the first thing to try is for you or your mechanic to try adjusting the clutch cable. You can read about the adjustment and related issues in this thread: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44428&highlight=clutch+cable+adjust

You can read about adjusting the linkage here:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41247&highlight=clutch+cable+adjust

The clutch cable adjustment is very easy, and costs nothing but time to try, so I'd suggest trying that first. Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress!

Oops, I forgot you were in the UK ;oops: - the details of the cable adjustment will be different than in the link above. Hopefully some UKers can help you out. I imagine it's the same basic setup with different routing

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for taking the time out to try and help. Il try taking a look tomorrow as its nearly midnight here and my eyes feel like they have had crack rubbed into them after reading all this :eek:

Should anyone in the UK fancy offering a bit of help please feel free ;)
Thanks again all

·
Registered
100 Posts
reverse

Dont worry about it. Mine has been doing that for years. You can try puting the car into first gear first every time you go into reverse. Your gearbox needs a modified reverse gear set, not worth doing on a car that old, I would suggest you live with it. I do!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all,

I fitted a new gear knob yesterday, and strangely enough my problem seems to be a little better. Finds reverse easier and stays in. I removed the gaiter and cleaned around the area where the stick goes in and the white plastic part which I presume is the locking mechanism/ guide. So now im wondering if its this little plastic piece that is not holding the the stick in place, rather than the cog slipping. Might be completely off the ball on this one but i got a quote for a gearbox which was £600 incl 12 mth warranty and fitting :/

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Hi Alfi 1

I traded my GM900 in a short while ago, but I know that it's been seen tootaling around Wakefield recently (my boss lives there and recognised the reg plate). I noticed you were in Wakefield too - although mine was a 97 model (with a 94 personalised plate), but the gearbox was a bit stiff when engaging reverse.

Just a thought. Just wondering where it ended up...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts