SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
There are several unused threaded holes on the top of the transmission. The breather is a barbed nipple and should a 2' length of rubber hose attached to it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So what you are saying is that it is okay for oil to gush out and spill on the ground from those holes ?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
QUESTION. Can I at least put bolts into those holes since they have thread ? I don't like what I see.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
No, oil shouldn't come out from ANYWHERE at all, but be sure you're attacking the right problem.

That's a low-res picture and I can't really see what's going on, but I don't remember a feature like that on the AW50.

You can see, for example, three threaded holes on the top of the transmission that are not used (and don't leak):

I think you are mistaking a leak from somewhere else that has filled those holes as coming from those holes.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Here, I believe, are the same bolt holes you took a picture of. As you can see, there is nothing in them. Your leak is from elsewhere, likely either the distributor plug or the power steering reservoir. Maybe the valve cover gasket. Or all of them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I want to do a test on the torgue converter, as follows and is this something that I can do ?

Whether in reverse or forward drive the TC will react the same.

To determine TC slippage:
Handbrake up.
Foot on brake.
Select D - high range.
Floor it for no longer than say 10 sec and note the rpm. Let the box cool for 1min.
Anything above 2800rpm would be TC clutch/pump pressure/solenoid failure.
Anything below 2300rpm would indicate low engine power.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Can a low car battery affect transmission?

However, since there is such a low amount of voltage, this can create issues for the transmission. The car transmission solenoids only need a small amount of current, but without it, the transmission won't operate correctly. The battery connects to several parts of your car's electronics

·
Registered
17 Posts
I want to do a test on the torgue converter, as follows and is this something that I can do ?

Whether in reverse or forward drive the TC will react the same.

To determine TC slippage:
Handbrake up.
Foot on brake.
Select D - high range.
Floor it for no longer than say 10 sec and note the rpm. Let the box cool for 1min.
Anything above 2800rpm would be TC clutch/pump pressure/solenoid failure.
Anything below 2300rpm would indicate low engine power.
This is the SAAB WIS recommend method to test the TC but from memory maximum time of only 5 seconds.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts