SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm having a problem I cant figure out. My reverse gear lock is not working. It's an '83 900Gls.

When I stop, turn the key off, I can just pull it straight out, like a "normal' car. Its starting fine, the only other symptom is that the battery light and fasten seatbelt light are staying on even without a key in the ignition. The battery is new.

Could it be the ignition lock relay? When I remove this, the battery light and seatbelt light turn off.

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
13,044 Posts
If the key comes out in any position other than fully counter-clockwise, the ignition lock is worn. Replace that before chasing other symptoms.
The chances the problem is the relay are vanishingly small.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim. It does only come out when fully turned counter clockwise, its just that I no longer need to put the car into reverse to remove the key, as I did before. The reverse gear lock is not working, along with the battery light and fasten seatbelt light staying on with no key in the ignition. Any ideas?

·
Registered
7,385 Posts
Either the lock, the lock gearset, or the switch is worn or damaged... They're all three in the same place, so next stop is removing the shifter housing and seeing what needs to be replaced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts