SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a possible timing chain noise going on it has been suggested to me that I should check the condition of the upper chain guide that is mounted on the valve cover. I've got an hour or two of free time today and the rain has let up so I was thinking about pulling the valve cover and checking the guide's condition (so I know whether or not to order it). But I don't have a spare valve cover gasket laying around to replace the old one with, which isn't even that old- I replaced it last summer. Used gasket bond material on the upper half that holds the gasket to the valve cover, no material went onto the engine surface. So how much trouble am I asking for in the short term (say a week or two of reuse)? Either way of my findings the cover is going to have to come back off soon: If guide is bad allowing sloppy chain play going to order a new guide (along with valve cover gasket), and open back up next weekend to replace. Or if guide is good and chain is sloppy going to order a new master link chain (along with valve cover gasket) and replace within the next two or three weekend (allow some time for research). Your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
The only thing that you have any serious change of risking is an oil leak. However, if you will only reuse the current gasket for a week or two until you get a new one and replace it, then your risk would be very minor. I would just keep a close watch on the oil level after you replace the gasket.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
What is the primary material used in this cam cover gasket ?

Rubber can easily be reused. After a gasket has been exposed to much heat over the years, it still can be reused in low pressure situations.
Some oil SEEPAGE will occur, no big deal.
The older paper or cork gaskets were prone to seep, even leak; had to be replaced.
I used a used but good gasket on the old 900- never a seep nor a leak.
I never changed any gaskets on the Honda either, the originals were very high quality..

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
When I removed my 9 year old valve cover gasket it was in amazingly great shape. I imagine a 1 year old gasket is probably in pretty good shape. My only concern is the lack of proper seal, as these things when new "mold" themselves to the surfaces they contact. You might want to consider installing it and they keeping a watchful eye for leaks.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I think you can reuse it without much trouble if it's only a year old. I replaced mine last year and I had the vc off last weekend. The gasket looked fine, and I put it back in. It did want to stick to both the head and the cover when I took it out, but it wasn't a big deal. There is also one big advantage - it will have conformed to the valve cover. This means that you probably won't need to use more sealant/dressing to hold it in place.

·
12,576 Posts
I've re used too, with no ill effects, but I did back up the gaskets with RTV silicone, just to make sure [also makes fitting a bit easier]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts