SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an aftermarket radio installed and about a year and a half ago I just about gave up on the saab. so I got a new car and put the wires on the radio to get get it out and put in in my new old honda accord. When they installed the stereo in the saab they had to rewire the radio. Which is fine. When I took the dash off I saw that the factory wire harness for the radio is still intact. And there is also the new after market harness of wires chillin right next to it. after about a month of restoring the saab I realized I dont want to put an aftermarket radio in it. it looks cheap I like the classic dash with the classic radio. I tried just plugging the radio in to the factory harness but nothing. It also has one of those black amps in the center console which has wires running to it. What could be the reasons for this not working? and Can I remove the amp and have factory deck working again with an aftermark amp? I hope this makes sense. I digressed quite a bit. Any help would be nice.

thanks in advance

david

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
davidlytle said:
Can I remove the amp and have factory deck working again with an aftermark amp?
I don't think there was such a thing as a "factory" radio. I distinctly recall my mother being very miffed that her brand spankin' '86 900i didn't come with anything at all as standard, it was a dealer option. I suspect anything that came in the cars new in specific markets was an importer-fit.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
a lot of the cars were fitted with a sony radio/ tape player, with a 10cd player in the boot, but they were an optional item. nice system

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
In 1987, US models came with Clarion radios. There were 3 different models, some equipped with amplifiers, some with equalizers too.
They were nothing but trouble, warranty repairs were constant.
I'd spend whatever it took to remove the whole mess and get a good radio with whatever accessories you like.

Several of the Clarion models with 2 DIN cables needed a bridge in the amplifier connector to work without the amp.

·
Registered
751 Posts
The sony radio is a nice one.

As regards to your radio not working, are you sure when the last person changed the radio, they didnt move any of the wires around on the harness.

looking a bently or haynes manual, it should give you the wiring.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My radio is the clarion one. WHen O took the dash off I checked and bothplugs are there. But when I plug them in nothing. They go to the factory amp. But Im not sure as to why it has no power. I like aftermarket radios much better but I want the factory one cause it looks right. a new radio looks so out of place and ruins the classic curves of the interior. I enjoy driving the saab and all of the nostalgia. My honda has the aftermaket radio and it looks fine. When I had it in the saab it doesnt look right to me. And I want to hook up an amp with RCA jack to run my Ipod straight off the amp. That way I can have radio when I want which is not much. or my Ipod direct connection.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My '89 has the Clarion system, w/amp and w/eq. The receiver (judging by the lock-out codes I can find) is at least the 2nd the car has seen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts