SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1988 900 with a catalyzed engine B201 H, 8v, 190.000km and runs smoothly. I wonder if it is possible to upgrade and retrofit a turbo so I can get the 145 CV of the Low preasure turbo. Do they use my engine in those turbo? Does anybody do it before? pros and cons?

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
It has been done. It's quite a bit of work on an 8b motor vs a 16v motor, as you really need to change the fuel distributor and the injectors. You might be able to get by using a controller for the 5th injector, but I'm not certain of that.

IMHO, it's probably just as much work to install a 16v motor as it is to add a turbo to an 8v, and parts for 16v motors are still very available.

·
Registered
13,046 Posts
'78 99s had Turbos.
I think he's referring to the usual 8v 'H' engine rather than the older 'B' engine; as in B201, B202,B212, B234
If you have the parts and skip APC it's not that big a deal. Watch compression...
Way more work than it's worth...

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Yeah, typo... I meant 8v(alve), not 8b. :) Getting all those parts (exh manifold, downpipe, turbo, fuel, ignition) is no small task.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
As Jim says above; watch compression. The 8v can produce a lot of power,but suffers from detonation sooner than the 16V. So if you are going for high boost levels without APC, water-injection is worth considering, if only to keep the engine in one piece.

PS Might be worth considering finding a good 16v and dropping that in considering the amount of work involved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts