SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found a mechanical sunroof for a 900. I am looking for some information to retrofit it. I only got two pictures that I enclose where it seems there is no beam crossing the ceiling so I asume It wont be a major issue to cut the space for the roof and then weld with TIG.

Can anyone give me more information, original drawings for sunroof, DIY, anything that could be usefull

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jAmgYJ2zV3anskT78jnhhEClPeDrKgHP

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1S2JqBkDFbov8AqaqiTqFICOH22BWLoOP

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I doubt anyone has ever done this. The sheet metal is different because solid roof and sunroof cars. Even Saab dealers didn't do this back in the day, they used 3rd party parts (ASC, etc.).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I doubt anyone has ever done this. The sheet metal is different because solid roof and sunroof cars. Even Saab dealers didn't do this back in the day, they used 3rd party parts (ASC, etc.).
Thank you for the link really helpfull.

Well there is some guy in the Swedish Saab Club that did it in a 9-5, and some guys in Spain did in a BMW series 1 and 3. But all this cars are new and they have a lot of trim seals in the exteriors.
The plan is to retrofit the whole panel that is point welded and then make a continuous seem with MIG.

There is also some draining hoses that at the moment I dont know if the slots for connect them are as well in non sunroof cars.

I will be on the safe side when I have the roof on my hands I will plan it to be safe and if I realize that I cant I will refuse.

Regarding other on OEM system I think they are not nice, they only tilt the hatch and that is not the same that driving in the night in Sweden and see a Aurora Borealis. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another question is that un a sunroof car the roof panel is point welded but in a not sun roof car is it the same? because in my 900 og there is no exterior trim to hide the perimeter union with the frame. I see a continuous roof until the rain gutters channels.
Can anybody confirm if in a 900 og non sunroof the roof pannel is only poing welded or continiusly welded?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, underestand. So I asume that the rain roof channel form part of the roof pannel, if so I think is pretty easy to get waterproof with some sealant gasket.

One more question that comes to my mind, is it the same the pannel roof of a 3 doors than the one for 5 or 4 doors. In the diagrams it seems it doesnt make any difference between.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Ok, underestand. So I asume that the rain roof channel form part of the roof pannel, if so I think is pretty easy to get waterproof with some sealant gasket.

One more question that comes to my mind, is it the same the panel roof of a 3 doors than the one for 5 or 4 doors. In the diagrams it seems it doesnt make any difference between.
In the parts list it makes no distinction in roof panel between different body styles They would all appear to be the same. It would make manufacturing sense. Go and measure some if you can.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you, I live in Sweden but now I am on vacation on my home country and not many Saabs around. I asume they are all the same, as in the technical specification there is no distintion.
Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gosh, I'm hanging onto a potentially terrible '86 primarily because it has NO sunroof. That's my preference.

Different strokes.
Sorry my bad english, you mean that you owns an 86 without a sunroof, or that you found a 86 without sunroof and thats why you discart it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think is easier to find a 900 without sunroof that with sunroof, go ahead. I do not understand a car without a sunroof

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My earlier 900s had sunroofs both manual and electric. I never used them. I have a 900 vert now and the roof is always open any weather.
I was looking for a affordable 900 with less than 200000km with sunroof and nothing. So I ve got the chance to retrofit the sunroof I will go for it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think is easier to find a 900 without sunroof that with sunroof, go ahead. I do not understand a car without a sunroof
Not in North America. I prefer no sunroof, which is why I'm happy to keep the one without the sunroof, even though it could be potentially terrible (I haven't had time to strip interior panels or have a close look underneath yet, but I know it's hiding something.)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
While in progress I have one more question.

Does anybody know if the reinforcement frame and the beam pointed in the pic, are only welded to the plate roof or are they also welded to the body estructure? I asume they are welded to the roof plate but only lie in the car structure like a reference point to mount.
Is this correct?

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
None of the roof frame is welded to the body.. It is all removable.
So If the sunroof frame and rear beam are only welded to the roof panel, then I asume I can cut the whole, weld the reinforcment frame and rear beam to my roof plate. IT seams pretty easy job, but my concern is that the only few that made this retrofit they unweld the whole original plate and then weld the new plate+sunroof, in my opinion to unweld such an amount of points and weld again means a lot of job hours and many new spots that came from the new weld point.
What is your opinion/experience...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts