SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
retrofit HID's

Let's begin

Take everything off and out of the housing that could be damaged by the heating but heating isn't necessary because these lights aren't assembled using butyl rubber; the're assembled with silicone RTV. However heating the housings will let you take them apart easily with little chance of breaking the plastic.

Once the plastic is warm 200 degrees F or so stick a screwdriver between the lens and the housing and follow the seam all the way around. You'll hear the silicone separate from the two plastics. Be sure and lift up on the locking tabs once you've reached them. After breaking the seal go back to one of the sides and start prying the lens off. You'll get one side start to separate easily, just keep prying from that end keeping in mind the locking tabs.

After it's apart you'll need to take off the side marker reflector. Pull out carefully, its only secured by the RTV.

Take the pivot points off in this order. (1) The 1st is done by inserting a flatblade screwdriver into a slot of the joint and twisting while pulling out the reflector housing...POP. (2) Now adjust the reflector, using the headlight adjustment screws, to get the ball as close as possible to one end of the clip so you can slide the ball out of the joint (takes a little force). Now readjust to take the tension off the joints. (3) Lastly, find a way to spread one of the tabs of joint 3 and push the white clip off the ball (I used a wide, long screwdriver to pry and another to push). Done... hard part's over.

If your reason for this is like mine it's because your chrome is all crapped out. I installed the dimensions for those who are interested in that stuff, it will help when choosing a new setup. I ran out of images to post but when I put mine together I just found the cutoff of the OEM and matched that to the new projectors (Mercedes C class) and set them directly onto the projector hole and used RTV to mount them. The reflector just pops back in and I used RTV to reseal and that was that. Good luck. This whole thing took about 8hrs which included just enough curing time for the RTV to re-mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
This was a little hard to read but I will comment. You should never reseal a headlight with RTV. It will degas and there's a good chance it will fog up your housing once they heat up. I always use Nissan Butyl, or 3m ribbon window weld. Same stuff basically.

If I were to go through the trouble of replacing the projectors, I would use a set of evoX-R from TRS. It's a direct fit and better output. The chrome on your projectors does not look crapped out. They come with that finish from the factory.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bill, If you had posted your swap I wouldn't have made mine and we could all have done it your way.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113207&page=77

I'd get just a few more posts under your belt before you come at well respected members here for giving you constructive criticism. Plus bill has been known to bite :lol:
Your right, I was just trying to get this info out here because no one has yet and it would have been super helpful if this was available in this format earlier. Now it is and we can all do it proper thanks to input from people like bill and anyone else who has helpful input on this subject and I think he pretty much covered anything that should have been done differently.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
This was a little hard to read but I will comment. You should never reseal a headlight with RTV. It will degas and there's a good chance it will fog up your housing once they heat up. I always use Nissan Butyl, or 3m ribbon window weld. Same stuff basically.

If I were to go through the trouble of replacing the projectors, I would use a set of evoX-R from TRS. It's a direct fit and better output. The chrome on your projectors does not look crapped out. They come with that finish from the factory.
I used black RTV on my '04 with zero issues, if u give it sufficient cure time it won't fog the housings. And yes, the chrome on the op's projectors is failing. They aren't supposed to have a crinkly wrinkled finish on the bowls. Hella had bad chroming issues with a lot of the E55 units.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Thanks Bill, If you had posted your swap I wouldn't have made mine and we could all have done it your way.
I have not swapped the projectors on mine. Mine came standard with hid, and theres no way I'm tearing into this headlight for a marginal difference. My wifes car is begging for a projector swap though, I just wish the 2008 lights were not so expensive.

If I decide to do a retrofit I would look at the back and see if I can cut an access panel, rather than separating the whole lens. It would be much faster and easier to seal back up. A little plastic weld, and some butly with aluminum foil tape over the top for extra security.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I used black RTV on my '04 with zero issues, if u give it sufficient cure time it won't fog the housings. And yes, the chrome on the op's projectors is failing. They aren't supposed to have a crinkly wrinkled finish on the bowls. Hella had bad chroming issues with a lot of the E55 units.
I had it fog up a set of neon lights. Not condensation fog, but a film on the inside of the lenses that needed to be cleaned by hand. Butyl is a superior product and it's what the professional retrofitters use. You can also use 3m ribbon weld and it's sold at most automotive stores for $15. One package would be enough for 5-10 lights easily. The nice part about butyl is they are easy to open if you need to make any changes again.

e55 projectors come in a matte and chrome finish in the bowl. Normally if the finish is failing you will see burn marks, but it's hard to judge based on the photos since they are not the best quality. To me they look normal, and I have owned several sets of e55's over the years.

·
Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
Kudos to the OP for taking the time to take pictures and add dimensions to the pictures. ;ol;

·
Registered
663 Posts
So if you have the regular halogen assembly. Can you do a straight swap of the OEM projectors and with lets say the EvoX-R's from TRS and add the D2S: MORIMOTO ELITE HID SYSTEM, with the can bus adapters and have a simple HID retrofit? Am I missing something?

·
Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
So if you have the regular halogen assembly. Can you do a straight swap of the OEM projectors and with lets say the EvoX-R's from TRS and add the D2S: MORIMOTO ELITE HID SYSTEM, with the can bus adapters and have a simple HID retrofit? Am I missing something?
Yes, that's correct.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Has anybody tried aftermarket halogens made by TYC?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1929722&cc=1428612

One of my HID's is fogged and pitted, and the projector on the other isn't doing so well. The car is 10yrs old and I don't feel like its worth investing anymore into buying decent used OEM HID lights. I'm looking for a cheap alternative with easier long term maintenance that still allows me to have an HID setup. A couple of reviews I found say they're well built for the cost and are identical to the original , but the projectors aren't that great which won't matter if I'm swapping them out for better ones. That's my future plan with the D2S: MORIMOTO ELITE HID SYSTEM

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I too was on a budget. I paid $45 for the entire retrofit system. When retrofitting started to become a thing RTV was the method to hold them in place. Having worked alot with this substance I can tell you IT WILL HOLD.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have not swapped the projectors on mine. Mine came standard with hid, and theres no way I'm tearing into this headlight for a marginal difference. My wifes car is begging for a projector swap though, I just wish the 2008 lights were not so expensive.

If I decide to do a retrofit I would look at the back and see if I can cut an access panel, rather than separating the whole lens. It would be much faster and easier to seal back up. A little plastic weld, and some butly with aluminum foil tape over the top for extra security.
After you take the rubber cap off in the back, it looks like the projector will slip right out of the hole but it won't. It would be great if you figured something out so the headlight doesn't need to come fully apart. I thought about doing that but dropped the idea. After all things considered it seemed easier to take it apart.

The max resolution allowed for uploads is 640X480.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had it fog up a set of neon lights. Not condensation fog, but a film on the inside of the lenses that needed to be cleaned by hand. Butyl is a superior product and it's what the professional retrofitters use. You can also use 3m ribbon weld and it's sold at most automotive stores for $15. One package would be enough for 5-10 lights easily. The nice part about butyl is they are easy to open if you need to make any changes again.

e55 projectors come in a matte and chrome finish in the bowl. Normally if the finish is failing you will see burn marks, but it's hard to judge based on the photos since they are not the best quality. To me they look normal, and I have owned several sets of e55's over the years.
The bowls appear corroded and looked like they were covered in hair and lint before they were chromed. They were definitely chrome at one point because I can see some chrome spots on the back and bottom which would be points with the least heat, not to mention the obvious chrome on the mounting face. No burn spots (black or brown spots) though it was bubbled in places which is indicative of excessive heat.

·
Registered
663 Posts
so you have no choice but to get the projector out through the front?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so you have no choice but to get the projector out through the front?
No, it's just that after I considered what effort would be spent on taking it out through the back I decided to go about it in the traditional manor (without cutting things). That would be my advice. Ohhh and to buff out the clear plastic if it needs it. I did mine with the 3M headlight restoration kit using it with water (like wetsanding) and they came out like new lights. I also needed to clean the inside of the clear plastic... did that with some soap and a soft brush. Honestly writing the first article was harder than getting them apart. Piece of cake, You got this!

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
The bowls appear corroded and looked like they were covered in hair and lint before they were chromed. They were definitely chrome at one point because I can see some chrome spots on the back and bottom which would be points with the least heat, not to mention the obvious chrome on the mounting face. No burn spots (black or brown spots) though it was bubbled in places which is indicative of excessive heat.
That's exactly what my '04's looked like. It was almost like the chrome had a wrinkled texture. It was like when u spray paint remover on a door, it gets all wrinkled before u scrape the old paint off. It was definitely heat damage, I was told by a professional retrofitter that they don't have to have actual burn marks for the chrome to fail on the bowl. Mine looked like a piece of tin foil that was balled up, and then opened and flattened. They were bad.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Yes, uu cann also uuse an E55 xenon projector to replace the E55 halogen uunit.

·
Registered
663 Posts
No, it's just that after I considered what effort would be spent on taking it out through the back I decided to go about it in the traditional manor (without cutting things). That would be my advice. Ohhh and to buff out the clear plastic if it needs it. I did mine with the 3M headlight restoration kit using it with water (like wetsanding) and they came out like new lights. I also needed to clean the inside of the clear plastic... did that with some soap and a soft brush. Honestly writing the first article was harder than getting them apart. Piece of cake, You got this!
Here is my passenger light which is pitted and clouded.

Driver side which is fine. :

I so far have tried using the Quixx and TurtleWax headlight restoration system kits twice 2x on my passenger HID. I followed the instructions word for word and both did nothing to improve the clarity of the lens. The same kits I tried on several other cars I had with clouded headlights and it worked on them, but not the saab's. My only option now is to swap lenses with another HID or Halogen assembly i guess...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts