SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my turbo rebuilt and will probably be installing it this weekend. The replacement oil supply line I got has a 1.5mm restrictor on it (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Oil-F...357-/181719215060?hash=item2a4f4f2bd4&vxp=mtr). This doesn't look like a good idea to me, given that the old line had no restrictor. Should I just drill it out and hope I'm careful enough to not leave shavings behind, or should I leave it. I don't have an air compressor; even if I did I would be worried about a shaving sticking around.

The car is pretty old, but it didn't burn any oil when I first bought it, so I know it'll run well without the restrictor.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Drill it out. If you didn't have it before, you don't need it now. It's one place on the engine that you don't want to restrict flow.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I just got my turbo rebuilt and will probably be installing it this weekend. The replacement oil supply line I got has a 1.5mm restrictor on it (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Oil-F...357-/181719215060?hash=item2a4f4f2bd4&vxp=mtr). This doesn't look like a good idea to me, given that the old line had no restrictor. Should I just drill it out and hope I'm careful enough to not leave shavings behind, or should I leave it. I don't have an air compressor; even if I did I would be worried about a shaving sticking around.

The car is pretty old, but it didn't burn any oil when I first bought it, so I know it'll run well without the restrictor.
Restrictors are used for ball bearing center housings. If you are using the OEM turbo it would have been a journal bearing and needs the full diameter line.
I too would drill it out. Break any sharp edges. Back flush it with aerosol propelled brake cleaner to get the chips out. Point it so gravity helps you. Let it dry and you will be good to go.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Coat the drill bit with grease. drill slowly and wipe and regrease as needed.
Is the restricter magnetic?

Take beer to your neighbor who has a compressor...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I drilled out the restrictor and, after spending the better part of Saturday installing the turbo, my 900 no longer smokes (at least not after idling it for a few minutes and taking it for a drive around the block).

BTW - I had this place called XS Boost Turbochargers do the rebuild and it looks like they did a pretty good job. It came back looking brand new even though it was all gunked up (even had RTV silicon all over the outside of the compressor inlet). We'll see how it holds up after some road trips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts