SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to try to restore my wheel caps, they were almost all black.

Materials:
-Isopropyl Alcohol, I used 70%
-Clear Acrylic, make sure it is non-yellowing

Here is what I did:
1. Put all four caps in a plastic cup and fill with enough alcohol to cover them.
2. Wait 15 minutes then wipe the caps off with a paper towel wet with alcohol.
3. Let them air dry, I gave them about 24 hours. While they are drying you may notice that they turn foggy or become sticky, this is normal and once dry they will be clear and smooth.

You can leave them like this but they seem to get sticky when wet and aren't as shiny. I decided to put a clear coat on them for extra protection and to make them shine more. I used Krylon clear acrylic, it is rated for outdoor use and is non-yellowing. I sprayed about 6 inches from the surface sweeping side to side, the first pass covering mostly the top, second the middle and third the bottom. I think I gave them about 5 coats. I let them dry for 24 hours before re-installing them.

When the caps dried they were shinier than before. They have a slight orange peel texture though so in a few days I will try buffing them to get them perfectly smooth.

They definitely look better then before and it beats spending $16 a cap for new ones.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
I did a writeup on this a while back. I used some GOJO hand cleaner amend a washcloth to remove the dirt and grime. When dry I used a little headlight restorer liquid on another cloth, came out perfect. 5 minutes for each one. I also did it to my cloudy trunk and hood emblems, worked great.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just restored all mine but I used a different method..

Recently i restored my GF yellow head lights with a kit a purchased. I used this kit to restore all my wheel caps and the hood one. They came out looking exactly like new..

It probably took 10-15 mins to do them all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.