SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a while now I has been bothering me that my headlamps where starting to fade.

I finally decided to try to see how I can fix them, but also wanted to see what I can do to protect them from the fading.

Wanted to document it in case anybody else wanted to try this, I this this last Sunday and it only took me about 2 hours.

Attachments

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First thing I need to do was fix the faded lamp, I had tried this before on another car and it did not work so I was a bit skeptical at first.

I picked up the product "Turtle Wax Headlight Lens restorer"

http://www.turtlewax.com/product-detail.aspx?prodid=86

When you start with the process of sanding, don't freak out, the lamps will look a lot worst before they start to look better.

I used painters tape to protect the paint around the headlamps.

When you are doing the sanding, sand the whole headlamp the same, not just the part that is faded because otherwise it will look uneven.

One of my headlamps was in so bad shape that I had to do the same process 3 times.

Attachments

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ordered from a company called rvynil.com the precut "Headlight Protection" tint. Make sure that the final product shows Headlight Protection, this one is the only one that has the UV protection and its also thicker.

I ordered the Light Smoke color because I thought it would look nice on my gray car, but there is a clear version along with other colors.

http://www.rvinyl.com/Headlight-Protection-Saab-9-3..html

When I got the package in the mail, I did not know that the price also included the fog lights.

My fog lights did have some minor scratches from rocks, I was not planning on adding the protective tint to the fog-lights but since I already had it I went for it.

To fix the tiny scratches on the fog lights, I used the sand paper labeled #3 and #4. This worked perfectly.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is the new look, I am very happy with how everything came out. Also found the light smoke color to look perfect for gray color of my car.

The car is super dirty because of some bad weather, I am also going to wait a couple of weeks to make sure the tint is all good before washing it.

Attachments

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are some pictures in the early evening with the lights on.

I fog lights bulbs are yellow, was not easy to get the right color on the photo but it looks really good.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Here are some pictures in the early evening with the lights on.

I fog lights bulbs are yellow, was not easy to get the right color on the photo but it looks really good.
Came out great, but what are those weird looking white lines next to the fog lights? I don't like that so much. P.S. Any car would look nice in HI, it's so nice there.;-)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have both the yellow fog lights and the super bright LED white fog lights. They are both used for different purposes.

Because of how they are used, Saab already comes pre-wired for this lights and the car manage them.

The car wont let me use the white LED fog lights and the yellow fog lights at the same time, when the lights are on in the car the LED will also turn on, when I turn on the fog lights the LED's will turn off but only after a 2 minute delay.

I took the picture right after turning on the fog lights and the LED's where still turned on.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I have both the yellow fog lights and the super bright LED white fog lights. They are both used for different purposes.

Because of how they are used, Saab already comes pre-wired for this lights and the car manage them.

The car wont let me use the white LED fog lights and the yellow fog lights at the same time, when the lights are on in the car the LED will also turn on, when I turn on the fog lights the LED's will turn off but only after a 2 minute delay.

I took the picture right after turning on the fog lights and the LED's where still turned on.
Can you post a link to the LEDs or the kit you installed?

·
Registered
4,300 Posts

It comes pre-wired for which lights? The LED's, or the fogs? How do u turn on the LED's with a different switch?

·
Registered
308 Posts
i used the same turtle wax product just about a year ago and was happy with the results. the difference in light output was unbelievable. the lens has clouded up a bit again but nowhere to the extent that it had clouded originally. within the next week or so i'll probably do it again but pick up a separate bottle of UV protectant instead of the wipe that came in the kit and hopefully last a little longer.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The standard light switch turns them on and off, but they are independent to the headlamps and fog lights.

I can use the LED's by them selfs, or use them with the headlamps but as soon as I turn on the Fog Lights the LED's turn off.

The LED's where installed by a Saab dealer abroad.

My car was registered in the past in a country that did not allow the fog lights to be used under most normal driving conditions.

The LED's are brighter than the fog lights, but they where allowed because they are directional.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I had toyed with the idea of adding tint just like this to prevent my headlights from getting yellowed....it looks really good too.....

Sean

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Sorry to ask a newb questions re: HL lens:

- does the clouding occur only on the outside ?
- my lenses are fine right now. If I were to buy and apply the protection films on the lenses, will that prevent the clouding forever ?
- are there any longterm effects with the films (ie: adhesive residues to lens) ?

I have the xenons on my Combi.

Thanks.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had toyed with the idea of adding tint just like this to prevent my headlights from getting yellowed....it looks really good too.....
One of the things I would advice to make sure to look for is that they have UV protection, most of the tints I found did not have UV protection.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry to ask a newb questions re: HL lens:

- does the clouding occur only on the outside ?
- my lenses are fine right now. If I were to buy and apply the protection films on the lenses, will that prevent the clouding forever ?
- are there any longterm effects with the films (ie: adhesive residues to lens) ?

I have the xenons on my Combi.

Thanks.
The clouding is only on the outside, thats why I was able to fix it. But to fix it required sanding and I would rather not have to do it again if I can help it.

From what I can tell, it should do a good job for a long time. I am still planning on replacing the tint in 3 to 4 years. The ones I bought are the protective with UV, they are a lot thicker than the standard Window tint.

Not all of this tints have UV protection.

They are easy to install and remove.

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
The clouding is only on the outside, thats why I was able to fix it. But to fix it required sanding and I would rather not have to do it again if I can help it.

From what I can tell, it should do a good job for a long time. I am still planning on replacing the tint in 3 to 4 years. The ones I bought are the protective with UV, they are a lot thicker than the standard Window tint.

Not all of this tints have UV protection.

They are easy to install and remove.
Thx.

Easy to remove ? So they're not glued on (adhesive backing) ?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I ordered from a company called rvynil.com the precut "Headlight Protection" tint. Make sure that the final product shows Headlight Protection, this one is the only one that has the UV protection and its also thicker.

I ordered the Light Smoke color because I thought it would look nice on my gray car, but there is a clear version along with other colors.

http://www.rvinyl.com/Headlight-Protection-Saab-9-3..html

When I got the package in the mail, I did not know that the price also included the fog lights.

My fog lights did have some minor scratches from rocks, I was not planning on adding the protective tint to the fog-lights but since I already had it I went for it.

To fix the tiny scratches on the fog lights, I used the sand paper labeled #3 and #4. This worked perfectly.

I browsed thru the link and added the clear tint into my shopping cart but upon check-out it asks if you want this 'frufu' package like sprays, liquids, applicator pens, edge sealer etc making the price go to the roof.

Did you order just the tint or you added any accessories to install it?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Before you buy

Check out Lamin-x. I have the yellows on my fogs now. Excellent product, and cheaper than what you had linked. Lamin-x also offers the same type of package, i opted out of it, but its only a couple extra bucks for the UV protectant. I used a gift card wrapped in a towel to flatten it out and came out great. I recommend them (Lamin-x). Plus, they have the precut film for the headlights that is cheaper than the rvinyl.

Edit: Lamin-x headlight covers also come with the fog light covers in the package...so 54.95 vs 69.99...
http://www.lamin-x.com/Saab-9-3-03-07-Headlight-Covers-p/sa002.htm

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I checked Lamin-X as well as Rvynil, but I chose Rvynil because they offered the Headlight Protection that had the UV protection.

Rvynil Headlight Protection Tint With UV protection is $55
Rvynil Headlight Tint without UV protection is $30
Lamin-X Headlight Tint without UV protection is $55

You can always add some protection to the tint without UV but I wanted the UV on the tint.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts