SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2004 Saab 9-5 that has some oil coming out of the air intake at the top of the throttle body. It's not smoking or running rough, so I'm not terribly concerned about it, but I will eventually like to fix it.

While looking at that, I also noticed that the PCV system was butchered by a previous owner. The hose coming off of the plastic intake going to the throttle body is missing, and the hole is plugged, the hose off of the back of the oil filler/dipstick tube is also missing and the hole plugged.

The hose from the valve cover goes to the catch can, and the hose coming back from the catch can goes to the intake near the front of the engine bay as it should.

I've seen on various YouTube videos that there are other hoses and check valves that are part of the system, but seem to be missing. Where do these all go, what do they do, and could any of this be the reason for the oil around the throttle body?

The car passed emissions, and the so called "glove test" showed a moderate negative pressure (vacuum) in the crankcase.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Just looked at my 2004, which is manual. I expect yours is auto?

I have no pipe coming off the oil filler neck, it was part of earlier PCV versions, but there are some out there with the earlier filler neck with the pipe blocked off. The one on the charge pipe - mine has a rigid plastic pipe linked to the intake manifold and the brake booster, but the autos have the aux vac pump and a different system. So thats not part of the PCV.

Oil coming out of the charge pipe all over the throttle body - clearly coming from somewhere upstream in the air path, Turbo lubrication leak, or too much oil entering the cobra pipe from the catch can. Not sure what the reason would be for that.

This shows the PCV evolution.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts