SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a 1989 900 turbo convertible (140,000 miles) and I am looking to restore as much as possible but don't want to get too expensive (I could just buy a newer one if cost gets too high). My question is where to begin. The engine runs fine, Just rebuilt the tranny, leather seats are worn but okay, except driver's seat is shot. the exhaust in new and the body is in good shape. turn signals don't work, heated seats don't work, not sure about the cruise control or the Air conditioner (these are not important). Should I look to the engine first? should I do the cosmetic things first? Suspension upgrade? brake upgrade? I am new to Saabs so are there other things I should check out first? So if you had just bought this car, where would you begin?
LS

·
Registered
219 Posts
Lacy Sutton said:
I have recently purchased a 1989 900 turbo convertible (140,000 miles) and I am looking to restore as much as possible but don't want to get too expensive (I could just buy a newer one if cost gets too high). My question is where to begin. The engine runs fine, Just rebuilt the tranny, leather seats are worn but okay, except driver's seat is shot. the exhaust in new and the body is in good shape. turn signals don't work, heated seats don't work, not sure about the cruise control or the Air conditioner (these are not important). Should I look to the engine first? should I do the cosmetic things first? Suspension upgrade? brake upgrade? I am new to Saabs so are there other things I should check out first? So if you had just bought this car, where would you begin?
LS
I would drain and fill every fluid...get full syn in the engine.

Is it an automatic?

Fix the turn signal, so its legal. And then chip away at your other problems a weekend at a time. I would also use this site for guidence on your repairs :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Restore 900 turbo vert.

the car is a manual tranny. Fluids have been replaced. oil is 10w-30, why is synthetic preferred? Has anyone ever replaced all of the suspension bushings at one time? how costly would this be? I have been thinking to do the suspension first, why? because of the rattles, squeeks and to tighten up the handleing. I'm not sure if I should do some engine work first, upgrading or replacing things like the wastegate, selenoid, anti-knock sensor, APC or anything else that would ensure a reliable engine in case i do a road trip. The brakes are fine so I guess I don't need to upgrade them for a while. But the engine and suspension are my main concern now. First and most importantly I want to make sure the car is reliable, then I will shoot for some performance. If I want to increase the engine performance, where should I begin?
LS

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Actually, I prefer regular 10w-30 for an older car like ours -- the synthetic could cause a few small leaks. Board search can explain.

The transmissions seem to be the most likely catastrophic failure on the C900. Again, a board search will yield a number of anecdotes, including mine.

Suspension bushings shouldn't be too much trouble nor too expensive. Should help.

If you haven't checked the Classic 900 tech help section, see it here:
http://www.saabcentral.com/techhelp/900_general.php

Also, get a Bentley manual: http://www.saabcentral.com/bookshop.htm it will be a life saver.

Try twinsaabs.com and 900aero.com for performance tweaks, or try the guys over on the 900 Performance board:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
restore & upgrade

I saw a bushing kit for the suspension on line for $195 front and $95 rear. These kits should replace all bushings (not just the shocks). Any idea what this would cost for labor or should I try it (even though I lack the presses to do the bushings)? Or should I have my Saab mechanic/ garage do the whole thing to avoid asking them to put on parts I have bought elsewhere? Okay, back to the engine, what are some basic upgrades that I could get started on?
LS

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Lacy Sutton said:
Any idea what this would cost for labor or should I try it (even though I lack the presses to do the bushings)? Or should I have my Saab mechanic/ garage do the whole thing to avoid asking them to put on parts I have bought elsewhere?
I would get the mechanic to quote and make your decision then.

Lacy Sutton said:
Okay, back to the engine, what are some basic upgrades that I could get started on?
LS
Did you look at 900aero.com? There are lots of good ideas in the TECH section.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts