SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am putting this into the workshop section and not the projects section as it will be restored to original spec and not modified - mods, feel free to move it if that's wrong.

I purchased a genuine Carlsson a couple of weeks ago with a view to using it during the winter to keep the miles off my convertible.

I knew it had a few rust scabs, but it wasn't until I put it in the workshop today that I realised how bad it is!

Instead of using it for the winter this is now going to be my winter project - to turn it into the best Carlsson that I can.

Advance warning - this will be a picture fest!

1st I got the car on the ramps to assess the bodywork.

The bumper doesn't seem to be a good fit on the drivers side:

Rubber trim missing and rust just showing on passengers side:

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Rubber trim not full length on front passenger side wheel arch:

Paint bubbling on passenger side rear arch and rubber trim missing on bumper:

Also bumper and arch trim don't fit well in same place:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
That car's a nice find. The best color too. :D You should start an "offical" Project thread to chronicle all the progress on it!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Filler cap rusty, and again trim missing from bumper on drivers side rear:

Rust under windscreen on drivers side:

Bonnet edge looks good from outside:

But inside is shot:

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Once I lifted the bonnet I saw how bad the rust under the window is:

Rusty driver door:

And rust bubbling under the paint on the passengers door:

Rust at base of A piller:

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Small signs of rust on the tailgate:

So I removed the body kit!

front drivers side wheel arch:

Serious rust in front panel:

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Passenger side front wheel arch with trim removed:

Passenger side rear wheel arch:

Acouple of areas of corrosion on the passenger side rear behind the bumper:

And some patches of rust under the boot floor:

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Rusty exhaust tailpipe:

Evidence of a very poor paint repair in the past:

Remember the photo of the tailgate rust - didn't look too bad from outside, take a look inside the lock mechanism box:

So I removed the lights and decor panel to take a butchers:

close up:

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Removed the whaletail to find this hole:

Remember the picture of the passenger side rear wheel arch with just a bit of paint bubbling? - look at it once the paint was removed:

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
You have quite the journey ahead of you, but if taken on, that will be a beautiful auto!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So that's how the 1st day has ended!
the car currently looks like this:

Tomorrow I plan to remove the interior and assess the floorpan for corrosion. Then it's to fit a replacement rust free white bonnet (thanks Nev), and try and source rust free white tailgate and doors (I want white so that there will be minimal colour match problems with the door insides and shut lines etc). After that it's off to the body shop to sort the wheel arches, and any other rust I can find. Before a respray the engine will be removed so that the engine bay can be restored and a new front panel will be fitted. I am going to keep the car white as that's the rarest colour of the Carlssons.

The only problem I can forsee is sourcing a replacement set of the side stripes / decals. Anyone got any contacts for them?

The wheels need refurbishing and a new headlining fitting, apart from that the interior trim looks to be in fairly good condition.

I will keep you updated of the progress.

Dan.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
Yikes! I know this car and had no idea it was so rusty.

Decals - PM Maark on these forums.

Checked out the driveshaft tunnels yet? Perhaps you'd better take a brave pill first...

Have you considered re-shelling the car?

The Projects forum is for all C900 projects, not just modified cars. There are plenty of stock restos in there too. Up to you where you keep your project thread but if you'd like me to move it, just ask.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Matthew said:
Yikes! I know this car and had no idea it ws so rusty.

Checked out the driveshaft tunnels yet? Perhaps you'd better take a brave pill first...

Have you considered re-shelling the car?

The Projects forum is for all C900 projects, not just modified cars. There are plenty of stock restos in there too. Up to you where you keep your project thread but if you'd like me to move it, just ask.
Yes, Thought you might know the car, I bought it from Nev. ( don't tell him how bad it is :eek: or he might feel guilty about taking my money :lol: )

The passenger side driveshaft tunnel looks ok, the drivers side has been welded in the past and doesn't look too bad (but thats before I remove all the black coating to look properly).
Drive shaft tunnel rust doesn't phase me too much, had one done on another car only last week. That car had the worst rust in that area I had ever seen (should have taken pics) but £170 later and its as good as new. Just depends if you have a good and trusted person to do the job.

Considered a reshell, but then it wont be a genuine carlsson will it? (have to keep an eye on future values just in case...)

Happy to keep the thread here for the time being as it might be of interest to others who don't look at the projects forum, especially when I tackle the mundane jobs such as brakes overhall, refitting dash etc etc.
My thread a year ago on my convertible restoration received favourable comments and that was in the workshop thread.

Dan.

·
Registered
429 Posts
hey are those Perelli P6000's? If so ditch them asap they are the worst tires ever made.

Cant wait to see more pictures man great start so far! btw, you picked the best colour :cool:

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
aerobar900 said:
When you get round to taking out the dash can you take lots of pictures... I'll need them for my project ;oops:
Let me know what you want pictures of (I have 2 or 3 cars with dashes already removed)

Dan.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
:eek: Holy Cripes! :eek: Maybe it would be easier to find another 3dr and put all the Calsson goodies on! Looks like youv'e really rolled up your sleves on this one though. It's great your bringing it back to par, looks like a good project for sure. It looks like you have some nice facilities there to play in!

The best of luck,
-Rob

·
Registered
716 Posts
I like that ramp you have. Looks a useful bit of kit. Where did you get that from or is it DIY?

·
Registered
751 Posts
you bought this off ebay, about 2-3 months ago? if its the same car i remember it being bought then sold again on ebay for slightly less about 1 week later. i suppose due to rust?

you've definetly got some dull work ahead of you. I'm currently restoring a 99T 2 door. it can be a real PITA cleaing up rust when its hard to reach into it. certainly the end results of your work are really satisfying so keep it up :)

1 - 20 of 104 Posts