SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are a few pics of my restoration project. The car is a 1985 saab 900 non turbo.

With photos, it's always difficult to select the ones to upload, and how many! I have 35 here and their total size is 1.7MB. What I do is I open the file in 'start, accessories, paint'. Then I go to 'Image, stretch/skew', and I enter 25% for the height and 25% for the length. This reduces the file size by 16 times..... Saves lots of time uploading big files. You can also cut off any bits of the photo you don'y want to display.

These photos are of the car before I started.

The car before removing the engine

The car after removing the engine. You can see there was some bad rust on the front member. I got a piece welded in here later.

I got the engine bay and the boot interior sandblasted next to get rid of the rust. I forgot to take pictures of that, but you can see below how well it cleans up parts. I did those myself with a small hand held unit.

I turned the car on its side next. It's difficult to tell how much rust is under the snow barrier, although there was definetly rust above the fuel tank. The snow barrier is like some sort of tough rubber underseal and is near to impossible to remove. I used paint strippers and a very sharp timber chissel.

http://[img]http//www.saabcentral.com/phpgallery/albums/album109/100_0969sc11.jpg[/img]

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One set is 1985, the other maybe 1983? The car is a 'UK' model and might be different to the US. I only started to load the photos and I am tyring to figure out how to get the image to display in the main window instead of the link displaying.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I am tyring to figure out how to get the image to display in the main window instead of the link displaying.
Hit the picture of the mountain and the yellow sky. then paste in the link and that will show your images. For some reason your links dont work though. may need to upload to an image server. like flickr or elk.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I deleted some of the pictures I uploaded, so the links aren't working. I want the picture in the text and not the link. When I press the yellow button it shows the image, but when I open the thread it only shows the link?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The hole in this photo is for the rear shock. You can see there was a bit of corosion.

This is under the boot. Its after being sandblasted. You can see where the hole was welded in.

The rear wheel arch

Above the fuel tank

along the seam to the front of the car. It had very little rust, appart from a little at the rear corner.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is the car back on the flat. The door pillars were sandblasted and primed at the same time as the boot and engine bay. Also where the hinges are mounted on the doors and pillars. The paint in that area had turned brown in colour and was just starting to show signs of rust.

There was just a little bit of rust under the windscreen

and in front of the back wheel

On a completely different topic, a swarm of bees landed on a tree, and I took a photo. I found it in the middle of my car photos!

The sandblasting is also very good at cleaning akward contours

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There were a few holes under the rear window!

Thats most of the bodywork photos. The next one is of the driveshaft. The inner joint is a tripod joint. The other one is the outer one.

These are the front steering members. One of the front calipers were ceasing and overheating the bearing.

This is one of the rear calipers being rebuilt. The handbrake works on the front wheels.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is the steering rack rebuild.

This is the carb. after rebuilding

This is the engine and gearbox after removal from the car.

I got the head rebuilt.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
9008v said:
HotRodLarry said:
I thought that exhaust was on the older (pre-'80 900's and 99's) cars. Atleast in the US they were.
One set is 1985, the other maybe 1983? The car is a 'UK' model and might be different to the US.
No cat on UK cars, of course, until much much later - they weren't legally required until '92 here. Probably various other emissions differences - EGR, p'raps.

Good for you, 9008v - it makes a change to see something as "boring" as a carb/4-dr being done.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is the engine back in the car

This is a pic of the engine running in the car. You can see that the flywheel is spinning.

At the moment I am trying to decide what colour to paint the car. I put it in paint and messed arround with it a bit. It wasn't much good because the colour match is impossible and shading etc. isn't present. I think that I will keep with the original colour of cherry red!

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
9008v said:
At the moment I am trying to decide what colour to paint the car. I put it in paint and messed arround with it a bit. It wasn't much good because the colour match is impossible and shading etc. isn't present. I think that I will keep with the original colour of cherry red!
<sticks oar in>
Cherry Red.

My mum's '86 900i 5dr was Cherry Red. Looked good.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TooMany2cvs said:
No cat on UK cars, of course, until much much later - they weren't legally required until '92 here. Probably various other emissions differences - EGR, p'raps.

Good for you, 9008v - it makes a change to see something as "boring" as a carb/4-dr being done.

There is a cat fitted to the car, although it isn't an original part, and will need replacing again soon. There is no EGR. What do you think it will require to pass the present emissions?

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
9008v said:
There is a cat fitted to the car, although it isn't an original part, and will need replacing again soon. There is no EGR. What do you think it will require to pass the present emissions?
In the UK? Neither. Emissions standards aren't applied retrospectively.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm at it a bit over a year now. I will keep it original as much as possible. Unfortunately the 4speed box was a bit beyond repair. I fitted a 5e box. I was going to mess arround with the primary gears to get the 5sp to work as a 4sp but I didn't.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts