SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Friends,

I'm considering buying a 93 900 Convertible for a possible restoration project. It has slight but clear oil leak, slight rust on the fender on the driver's side, a puncture on the top, non-working heater, non-working radio, non-working driver's seat adjustment, and one temperamental wiper. The car is otherwise in great shape. Green exterior on tan leather. 5 speed. 170km.

I'm not looking for a showroom quality restoration. Rather I would like to see it back to its proper glory and shape as a driver.

It's working and running. It's being driven daily. I can pick it up at very good price. I then need to drive 2-3 days to bring it home.

I will appreciate your input!!

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
I don't think anyone is going to be able to answer that question... you're talking about a 30 year old car with - it sounds like - an unknown maintenance history and quite a few miles. You've cherry picked a few obvious problems which gives some flavor, but who knows what the nature of the problems are and what problems you can't see in the ad. Also what one person thinks is "driver quality" is not the same as the next person... I daily drive cars my father wouldn't be caught dead in. :)

The stuff you've named is a solid $5k, so I'd think that's your floor, for whatever that's worth.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input! I just realised that it's a 900 S not a 900 T ... How much difference does it make in terms of sound, overall value, and driving experience? I know this is a different question. I am feeling slightly disappointed that it's not a turbo ... To get the car, it seems the overall initial cost would be just under 4k. To bring it up to my idea of a driver would, as javanbra said, cost around 5k to start.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Where are you located? Sounds like a bit of a cruise to pick up a Saab. I actually have a 93 900s vert and love it. Never drove a turbo, but this is more than fun enough. (I also have a 91 BMW, so that's my speed car). There are quite a bit of c900s around that are in good shape and new ones pop up all the time. If you have $4k or $5k to spend, you can probably find a rust free good runner that would just need standard maintenance. (there are quite a few on saabnet.com right now).

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Turbo vs non is a personal question. I wouldn't say one is better than the other - you get to trade some operating cost for some performance, I suppose, and maybe it's worth it and maybe it's not. I will say that in 2019 there is value in buying the body you want and sorting out the engine later. You're gonna have an easier time finding a turbo motor in a nice body than finding a nice body for your turbo motor.

As far as this car vs another one, it's again more preference. I would virtually always rather buy a car that needs work, put that work in, and enjoy the fruits of my labor than buy a more expensive, ostensibly nicer car that will need the same work in five years just as I am ready to sell it on. I like having a car in a known condition rather than trusting that previous owners did the work they were supposed to.

There's not a universal right answer here, I don't think.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turbo vs non is a personal question. I wouldn't say one is better than the other - you get to trade some operating cost for some performance, I suppose, and maybe it's worth it and maybe it's not. I will say that in 2019 there is value in buying the body you want and sorting out the engine later. You're gonna have an easier time finding a turbo motor in a nice body than finding a nice body for your turbo motor.

As far as this car vs another one, it's again more preference. I would virtually always rather buy a car that needs work, put that work in, and enjoy the fruits of my labor than buy a more expensive, ostensibly nicer car that will need the same work in five years just as I am ready to sell it on. I like having a car in a known condition rather than trusting that previous owners did the work they were supposed to.

There's not a universal right answer here, I don't think.
So true. How much is it to swap a B202t 16 into an S body? Will it require a transmission as well?

The interior of the car is pristine and the rust is nearly minimal and possibly surface. Otherwise the body seems 85/100 to me.

Does the B212 sound different from the B202 t16?

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Remarkably B2x2 motors all sound about the same, unless you have an exhaust system on them. With something a bit more free-er flowing the turbo has a smoother sound and the non-turbo a bit more blatty. If the exhaust gets big enough there is always the potential for some turbo whine from the exhaust. To my ears, not enough difference there to really worry about. One of my favorite c900s I've ever owned was an '86 900S with an aftermarket turbo exhaust. Such a fun car... not fast, but it was loads of fun in all departments.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think Saab or all Saab mechanics should pay you all as I'm feeling a bit more positive about the 900s. I might order an enclosed shipping service which is quoted at 1500$ including tax and insurance. Pre-purchase inspection would probably cost 300$. The car is in Calgary. My return flights should cost around 500$. Which should happen first, the PPI or my seeing the car in person?

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Long distance purchases always suck, I don't think there is a right answer.

Generally,

If I'm flying somewhere, I'm driving it home. Or towing it, I suppose.
If I'm having it shipped, I'd just trust the PPI and never go see the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts