SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I disassembled the glove compartment, removed the black box, and disassembled. Sure enough, the arm was broken, ... and the small circuit board had overheated, and the resistor failed from overheating. The DC motor worked on 12 volts, and I set out to rebuild to circuit board

Research here and other forums led me to replace the resistor with an 18 ohm 1/2 watt resistor. But while making the replacement, I measured the resistance across the motor, and realized that the current was higher than I expected, and the wattage across the resister would exceed 2 watts. And, true to form, on running the board on a 12 volt supply, the resistor got awful hot, real quick. So... my question....why are there references to 1/2 watt replacements? Did the original resistor (which I can't read as it burned) have a 3 watt rating ? I'm tempted to buy the 3 Watt variant of an 18 ohm resistor, but wanted to sound out that move, here, before moving forward.

Any comments / suggestions ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I'm doing.

My concern was that the something was amiss with the D.C. motor, and maybe I should have written this explicitly. What is the expected current drain for the that motor, or the board [or alternatively, the expected resistance across the motor]. I haven't seen that documented anywhere.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts