SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve read several references in the past about 9-3’s ECU ‘learning’ the driver style and adapting throttle response and engine characteristics as a result.

I tend to drive very smoothly and quite lightly for the most part, but occasionally enjoy giving it some boost and having some fun.

I’m pretty sure the acceleration is less abrupt to what it was when I first got the car, and I’ve read posts here about resetting the car’s ECU by unplugging a battery terminal for 10 minutes, which improves the responsiveness. I’d quite like to see if this works.

Is this true, and if so, what’s the correct procedure, and the risk of it causing problems?

My car has (so far) been running faultlessly – is there any risk of problems arising by disconnecting the battery?

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Is this true, and if so, what’s the correct procedure, and the risk of it causing problems?

My car has (so far) been running faultlessly – is there any risk of problems arising by disconnecting the battery?

Yes, it's true, and no risk of problems except that you may have to reset the clock.

Check in the owners manual for the location of the fuses for the ECU and maybe the Transmission Control Unit. You can accomplish the same thing by pulling these fuses for a few minutes and you won't get your hands dirty. (Although disconnecting the battery is a good excuse to spiff up the terminals and coat them with dielectric grease).

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it's true, and no risk of problems except that you may have to reset the clock.

Check in the owners manual for the location of the fuses for the ECU and maybe the Transmission Control Unit. You can accomplish the same thing by pulling these fuses for a few minutes and you won't get your hands dirty. (Although disconnecting the battery is a good excuse to spiff up the terminals and coat them with dielectric grease).
Many thanks

Which way round should the terminals be removed and reconnected? How long should the remain disconnected, and will this trip the alarm?

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Take off the Negative Terminal for about 10 minutes... make sure the ignition is off. As stated, you'll have to reset the clock, PP if you have it and maybe the radio presets, not sure on that last one.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Maybe its just my car, but I keep losing programming, the last time I resetted the ECU, everything was gone. Granted the battery was off for about an hour, but still, the individual modules should have enought ROM/EEPROM power to store the settings,.

So I just stay away from disconnecting the battery

http://saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176213
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dU65xfYYoY

I fitted a 20AMP switch to remotely disconnect and reconnect the ECU... it resets instantly and you don't need to reset the clock/window pinch settings.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Whats Everything? My car sat overnight without a battery, I just had to do the clock and PP as I recall, maybe the seats...

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Pinch protection, express up/down, comfort open, time (I wish we also had date), radio presets and memory for the driver seat.

That one time the car sat without battery for about 10 hours while I was dismantling the dash.

Whats Everything? My car sat overnight without a battery, I just had to do the clock and PP as I recall, maybe the seats...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe its just my car, but I keep losing programming, the last time I resetted the ECU, everything was gone. Granted the battery was off for about an hour, but still, the individual modules should have enought ROM/EEPROM power to store the settings,.

So I just stay away from disconnecting the battery

Pinch protection, express up/down, comfort open, time (I wish we also had date), radio presets and memory for the driver seat.

That one time the car sat without battery for about 10 hours while I was dismantling the dash.

Phew, I was begining to think you meant the car was a lifeless shell! I'm not that bothered abotu pinch protection, and given that I don't have express up or memory seats It's less of an issue for me. Setting the clock and radio presets isn't really a hardship either. (clock is auto on RDS anyway)

I'd be interested to hear if anyone know about the alarm when you do this - does it trigger when you dis-connect / connect the battery?

(I wish we also had date)
There is a date at the end of the trip computer menu - after speed warning etc..

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
It does not set off the Alarm. Anyway, the Alarm won't be armed, the doors won't be locked. You have to open the doors to release the hood.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Is the ecu same as the ecm thanks
ECU/ECM/PCM/etc are the same. Different acronyms, same general meaning.

·
Registered
11 Posts
dont disconnect the battery!
read my post

the easiest way to reset the ecu is to pull fuse f2 located under the bonnet
and re install it after about 15min

i did this about 20mins ago and it fixed my problem

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
dont disconnect the battery!
read my post

the easiest way to reset the ecu is to pull fuse f2 located under the bonnet
and re install it after about 15min

i did this about 20mins ago and it fixed my problem
No... It only takes a few seconds once you remove fuse f2. You don't have to wait 15 minutes, it loses the memory almost right away. I pull it then put it right back in, and it's in learning mode that fast.

·
Registered
1 Posts
bluetooth won't work after battery disconnect

i have a Saab 9-3 2009 and after my Saab tech performed my 50,000 mile service my bluetooth steering wheel button will not work. He told me he disconnected my battery to reset the systems in the car and to clean the spark plugs. When he reconnected the battery, the bluetooth would not work anymore. He has tried to reset the system twice with no success. Any suggestions to what needs to be done to get it working again?

·
Registered
15 Posts

Which fuses should I remove for 9-3 2000 automatic sedan? I've checked manual and there are a few listed with similar functions. 16B, 24, 26, 34??
Or remove all of them for a few minutes? And with engine turned off, presumably?

Thanks, my first Saab and new to this.

Penny

1 - 20 of 26 Posts