SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, first off let me say that I did as much googling and searching of the forum as I could, but either the thread didn't exactly fit my situation, or I had no clue what I was reading. Sorry if this is a redundant thread.

Anyway, I got a 04 9-3 Linear in January. It came with one key fob that looks like it had been attacked by the previous owners dog or something. The fob still works fine, but I'd like to get a new one to be safe. I see that I can get new fob peices like this online, but I'm wondering how I program it now that Saab dealerships have all vanished. I've seen all sorts of posts about this Tech II thing, is that what is needed to program the fob? Is there someone who has one, can send my new fob to them to get it programmed, or does it not work like that? My actual working car knowledge is very minimal, so a lot of the stuff I've seen has gone totally over my head. Can anybody offer any advice?

Thanks.

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
There are still Saab dealers. They can program a new key but not a used key fob. For the old key, you can buy a new key and switch the insides easily to save Tech II costs (or even buy a used shell, preferably a Saab one and not a poorly made aftermarket shell).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi there, first off let me say that I did as much googling and searching of the forum as I could, but either the thread didn't exactly fit my situation, or I had no clue what I was reading. Sorry if this is a redundant thread.

Anyway, I got a 04 9-3 Linear in January. It came with one key fob that looks like it had been attacked by the previous owners dog or something. The fob still works fine, but I'd like to get a new one to be safe. I see that I can get new fob peices like this online, but I'm wondering how I program it now that Saab dealerships have all vanished. I've seen all sorts of posts about this Tech II thing, is that what is needed to program the fob? Is there someone who has one, can send my new fob to them to get it programmed, or does it not work like that? My actual working car knowledge is very minimal, so a lot of the stuff I've seen has gone totally over my head. Can anybody offer any advice?

Thanks.
I would replace the shell with a new one on your existing key, you should be able to find one on e-bay. You will want to get a new spare key made as if you lose your existing one it will around a 1,000 to get new keys made. To get a second key made you will need to by a new key for around 50 bucks and then find a Saab mechanic with the Tech II to program it. The car needs to be there when he is doing it. Just google Saab mechanic for your area and then call them to see if they have a TECH II. A a lot of the previous dealers (seems to mostly be cadillac dealers around here) still have the Tech II and a Saab specific mechanic.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
I would DEFINITELY get another key ASAP, yes you can get a new outside for the current key you have. BUT, if its in that bad a shape for a while the micro switches can start to go from exposure and dirt from the decaying rubber. And if that key breaks, you're looking at a new CIM & keys. That's between like 600-800 bucks. So get a new key, or 2 because they r cheaper now that they're available again. And if you're gonna pay for TechII to get it programmed anyway, it's good practice to get a second key done at the same time.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
I would DEFINITELY get another key ASAP, yes you can get a new outside for the current key you have. BUT, if its in that bad a shape for a while the micro switches can start to go from exposure and dirt from the decaying rubber. And if that key breaks, you're looking at a new CIM & keys. That's between like 600-800 bucks. So get a new key, or 2 because they r cheaper now that they're available again. And if you're gonna pay for TechII to get it programmed anyway, it's good practice to get a second key done at the same time.
Yes definitely get 2 new fobs programmed and keep one in a very safe place for emergency use. There are quite a few independent shops that have the Tech2 that can program fobs in addition to official Saab service centers. It should cost the same to have 2 done at he same time as Tech2 time is usually charged by the hour.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.