SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
It's always difficult to patch up metallic colored cars :(

This is why body shops almost always respray the entire panel...

If that in-fact is a chip in the paint the best way to fix it is probably to get an official touch-up paint bottle from your preferred dealer. The dealer supplied ones seem to be the only ones that match well in color.

With some elbow grease and eye for detail you might be able to cover that up the touch-up paint, and once it has dried rub some rubbing compound on it, to polish it flush with the rest of the paint.

It's not an easy thing to do, though :(

·
Registered
87 Posts
if it is indeed a chip than it more than likely will. Clearcoat is what seals the paint, and if that comes off than there is no protecting barrier.

I have a buddy of mine who took a pebble off a semi in his 2003 Lancer two months ago, and is starting to develop rust because it took of the clearcoat. Being that you live in a more humid climate, I would reccomend you get on it within a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
mfong said:
gosh darnit!

ok, i'll call up the dealer.
will this chip induce rust? that's the only thing im concerned about.

~Mike
Now I'm no expert on car paint, but here's my feeling on the subject...

The body panels are anodized with Zinc prior to being painted.

Zinc is sacrificial when it comes to oxidizing when it is in contact with steel..

So I wouldn't expect the steel to rust until every little bit of Zinc has been eaten up, and this maky take time, cause as the zinc oxidises it gets covered in Zinc oxide, which further delayes the process...

It's not going to go forever without rusting, but you don't have to worry about painting it immediately...

Someone correct me if I am wrong on the above...

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
If the damage is through to bare metal, i'd get it done profesionally. If they are just cosmetic a Saab touch up stick could work. Just make sure you shake the paint to mix it well, and even run it under a hot faucet to thin the paint out (you could also use cellulose thinners), apply in very thin coats (2,3 or more), then apply the clearcoat so the finish is not proud of the rest of the paintwork.

·
Registered
7,878 Posts

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Look on one of your door pillars, it will have your vehicle specs including a color code (mine is 261), just go to your dealer and ask for a touch up paint.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have not used Langka myself, but plan on ordering it. A few friends have used this with good results.

Get as good a match to the original paint as you can. Paintscratch.com is another excellent source for touchup materials (including clearcoat).

Also - try www.autopia.org for detailed instructions on chip repair. Even with out the Langka product, I was able to get decent results.

Good Luck with your repairs.

Edit: I just got a good look at the damage in the pic you posted. If this is just paint transfer from a door, try claybar and a good paint polish. That might remove the blemish altogether. If it is indeed a chip, then proceed with your repair.

·
Registered
87 Posts
mfong said:
looks promising. have you tried it?

~Mike
No. I was going to order it but then I dented my trunk lid. I think I'll get some minor chips fixed along with the major repair.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Aero Slaab said:
I have not used Langka myself, but plan on ordering it. A few friends have used this with good results.

Get as good a match to the original paint as you can. Paintscratch.com is another excellent source for touchup materials (including clearcoat).

Also - try www.autopia.org for detailed instructions on chip repair. Even with out the Langka product, I was able to get decent results.

Good Luck with your repairs.

Edit: I just got a good look at the damage in the pic you posted. If this is just paint transfer from a door, try claybar and a good paint polish. That might remove the blemish altogether. If it is indeed a chip, then proceed with your repair.
got it. I'll buy some clay today. When i use the clay, does the surface have to be dry? It's raining right now :cheesy:

~Mike

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
mfong said:
got it. I'll buy some clay today. When i use the clay, does the surface have to be dry? It's raining right now :cheesy:

~Mike
No, the clay should come with a lubricant, you shouldnt allow the paint to be dry or the clay will end up on the paint, rather than the impurities dragged off the paint and into the clay;)

Do small sections at a time and "feel" your way, your fingertips are the best guide for the smoothness of the finish :p

·
Registered
134 Posts
Be sure to use a fair amount of lube when claying. The claybar should glide farily easily across the surface of the paint. Most clay kits bome with a lube, but if you do not, you can use a quick detailer product.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts