SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Replacement substitute for standard Bosch ignition coils in C900's

I'm looking at what can be used to replace a regular, bog-standard Bosch ignition coil used in Classic 900's with hall-effect ignition systems. Not the integrated ignition amp type. I don't think it matters between EZK and non-EZK setups.

If we take the standard Bosch coil spec that Saab seems to have used, with a primary resistance of around 0.5 to 1.0 ohms, and a secondary resistance of around 7.2 to 8.2 K ohms, what current-model Bosch coils that aftermarket auto parts sell can be used as a substitute?

For example, here in Oz auto parts shops sell Bosch-branded coils with names like SU12, GT40, etc. and there's an Ebay seller listing what are claimed to be 'genuine' Bosch coils with a 'BIC290' product code.

None of the listings give actual Bosch part numbers in the 'x xxx xxx xxx' format or give any actual technical specs. I don't know of any cross-reference between Saab part numbers and Bosch full part numbers or 'retail' product codes.

Would a Pertronix coil be a better choice? Say a # 45011 with 0.6 ohm primary...

Craig.

·
Registered
683 Posts
My '92 900 T16 came to me with a replacement coil. It's labelled Accel Super 8140. I have the breakerless Hall effect and this coil seems to work OK. I don't think it's rocket science.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I installed a MSD "can" type coil in my last vert. Not sure what problem you're trying to solve but the MSD had plenty of juice output...40000 volts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm currently trying to diagnose ignition issues with my 2.1 sedan and the coil primary resistance doesn't match the spec in the manual for the primary - I get 0.9 to 1.4 ohms when it should be 0.5 to 0.9.

I have a spare (generic bosch) I can try. Don't have a Pertronix on hand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts