SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a small oil leak from the vacuum pump on my 07 9-3. Ordered those RKX o-rings and attempted to rebuild it. I took it apart cleaned it up as good as it was going to get and installed those 2 new o rings with a very thin coating of Vaseline. Slapped it back together and I didnt have a torque wrench on me so I went by feel not using gorilla strength reinstalling it.

Still seeing a drip when its running which may be from something else in that area or possibly the pan but it seems like it not as bad. Either way now I noticed that my brakes get hard if I use the pedal more than once without giving a few seconds to recover. Im guessing there is an air leak in the pump and the pump isnt making enough vacuum to support power brakes like normal without giving it time to regen.

Im not gonna mess with the stock one anymore (car has 150k) with trying to take it apart and its the wifes car on top of it. I ordered another unit online and I noticed it comes with a new o-ring for the face that meets the head.

My question to you guys is:
Should I re-use the RKX o-ring on the head side, since its only a few days old and ditch the one that comes with the new pump? Im not touching the other side as its already sealed. Should I use silicone? Im a fan of The Right Stuff when its needed.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Shouldn’t need any sealant. Unless you completely emptied the oil from the old pump it probably leaked out as you turned it over to install it so you may be seeing residual oil. Or it’s coming from the internal oring. The only way to tell if it’s still leaking is to reach under and touch it or use a small mirror.

Since you’re having issues with it and you’ve ordered a replacement use what comes with it and keep the extra racetrack seal as a spare. Without a torque wrench, tighten it evenly - snug and then maybe a quarter turn.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shouldn’t need any sealant. Unless you completely emptied the oil from the old pump it probably leaked out as you turned it over to install it so you may be seeing residual oil. Or it’s coming from the internal oring. The only way to tell if it’s still leaking is to reach under and touch it or use a small mirror.

Since you’re having issues with it and you’ve ordered a replacement use what comes with it and keep the extra racetrack seal as a spare. Without a torque wrench, tighten it evenly - snug and then maybe a quarter turn.
Thanks sounds like its possible maybe some leaked out as I was putting it on. Either way im not gonna chance it playing around with the old pump just replace it.

Speaking of oil do you need to prime these pumps at all? Figure no oil in it upon startup you know? I havent read anything anywhere about priming it though.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Priming isn't specified in WIS but if it'll make you feel better you can pour a few ounces into it, but it'll leak out as you turn it over to install it. I'm guessing that it's lubed sufficiently during manufacturing and engine oil pressure will fill it quickly. I doubt they primed it when the engine was first installed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Somehow I missed this post before posting a similar question. I'll be replacing my VP this weekend; new pump on its way. Does the new pump have a gasket that mates to the engine or just the rubber seal? Should it be lubricated before attaching and is there generally residual gasket/seal material to be cleaned off the engine mounting surface before installing?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Somehow I missed this post before posting a similar question. I'll be replacing my VP this weekend; new pump on its way. Does the new pump have a gasket that mates to the engine or just the rubber seal? Should it be lubricated before attaching and is there generally residual gasket/seal material to be cleaned off the engine mounting surface before installing?
It should just be a rubber O ring that acts as the gasket. Im curious myself about the lubing the o ring as well. For the longest time I was always taught to at least use vasoline if anything. When I took mine off I saw very little to clean up when I took off my old one.

Looks like my VP just got delivered today so ill be installing it tonight. Be curious about what the people here say about lubing the o ring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts