SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about ready put a TD04 in my LPT. I will be doing a sump drop in conjunction with this on the same day. I have read that most people drain their coolant before doing the turbo removal and install. I would rather not mess with the coolant for now. Save it for another day.

Anyone swap a turbo out and not drain coolant? If so how do I keep the coolant from leaking out much?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
You really can't avoid losing quite a bit of the coolant. The problem is the turbo coolant lines. You'd have to cork the holes, but regardless as soon as you disconnect the lines they will begin pouring fluid out and it will be very difficult to save it. I'd say just drain it... it will be much easier for you.

·
Registered
532 Posts
You are going to have to drain the coolant no matter what. The turbo sits below the expansion tank so everything is going to be draining out the instant your crack open those banjo bolts.

It makes sense to drain all the coolant if your pulling the turbo for a swap. It makes it the perfect time to flush out the entire cooling system, change the t-stat, and put fresh coolant in. Simple preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.
Ok, well I guess I will drain the coolant then. i was going to try and plug the lines but that is probably futile.

I have green stuff in there now. Any coolant recommendations?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Turbo removal coolant drain

Removed my turbo yesterday and yes, when you disconnect the banjo bolts, you will loose the reservior volume. I put a pan under the car and collected about a half gallon if that. That was the easy way to remove the turbo so take it as you will.

Not necessary to drain the system, just more work let alone the radiator twist drain is almost impossible to gain access to.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Yeah, I think I will avoid messing with the drain valve. I will probably just remove one of the radiator hoses.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
the radiator twist drain is almost impossible to gain access to.
You know, I never have trouble with the drain. It's not usually that tight and can be reached from the SIDE over the frame member.

If you have your car up on ramps, you can drain right into a funnel stuck on top of a one gallon container and not lose a drop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts