SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
turbojohnny said:
i'd probably go for the one with the master link, seems like it'd be easier to replace that way
Yes, the one with the master link can be carefully "rolled on" while the engine is in the car. Step one for the endless chain is: REMOVE ENGINE.

There's nothing wrong with the master link style; the issue would be whether or not the guides and/or the balance chain is also worn. I believe replacing those do require engine removal, although many in this group choose to just cut the balance chain from underneath if it's worn. It's not actually needed, it just cancels some of the inherit engine vibration of a 4-cyl motor; most noticable near idle speed.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wait. The engine has to be removed? My mechanic is changing my water pump, idler pully and serpentine belt, and he said while hes under there that he should replace the timing belt. My car has a timing chain though, and didnt know that the engine haas to be removed...is it a different belt that hes referring to?

·
Registered
980 Posts
thecanyon2k4 said:
Wait. The engine has to be removed? My mechanic is changing my water pump, idler pully and serpentine belt, and he said while hes under there that he should replace the timing belt. My car has a timing chain though, and didnt know that the engine haas to be removed...is it a different belt that hes referring to?
No, the engine does not need to be removed to change the timing chain, so long as you get the "master link" style.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Ok then, I've checked some of the archives....How do you install a masterlink timing chain? I'm creaping up on 100,000mi, and if I can change it without the:

Step one: Remove engine.... I'm all ears

Please, enlighten me.:roll:

Eric

·
Registered
867 Posts
Do you have the V6 or the I4 engine? The 6 has the timing belt but the 4 cyl has the chain. The timing belt is a maintenance item and should be replaced every 30k miles.

SAAB considers the 4 cyl timing chain a non-maintenance item that should be good for the life of the car. If a new chain is needed at 100,000 miles then there is a serious wear problem that should be fully diagnosed. Chain wear and stretch can be determined from the tensioner extension.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hi there, I know that the 9-3's use timing chains; but could someone tell me if the 900 2.3 and 2.0t also use a timing chain or are they on timing belts?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Both of those are timing chains. You can check the chain by removing the tensioner and seeing how far it's extended. If it's past 10 clicks, it's time for a change. Check out the information on the balance chain as well. It can be removed permanently.

·
Registered
619 Posts
TheCanyon2k4, since you have a 1999, I'm pretty sure that all saabs that year had the timing chain. IE they stopped making the V6s by then. Is you mechanic even aware that his comment: "While I'm under there, might as well replace the timing chain" Makes NO SENSE? Is he aware that the water pump is externally mounted the engine just like an accessory? As are the upper and lower idler pulleys? I smell FISHY if you ask me... :nono;

**This will solve what type of engine you have: "Do you have a red or black DIRECT IGNITION Cassette in the middle on top of the engine? If so, you have a 4 Cylinder and it DOES have a timing chain.**

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
If your mechanic want's to change the timing belt on your 9-3. I would hold a competition to see what tow truck can get the car out of the shop the fastest.:eek:

Only the V6 cars use a tbelt. The best option is the endless chain, yes with engine removal. Fair price is a hair under $900 or so.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Leon said:
TheCanyon2k4, since you have a 1999, I'm pretty sure that all saabs that year had the timing chain. IE they stopped making the V6s by then. Is you mechanic even aware that his comment: "While I'm under there, might as well replace the timing chain" Makes NO SENSE? Is he aware that the water pump is externally mounted the engine just like an accessory? As are the upper and lower idler pulleys? I smell FISHY if you ask me... :nono;

**This will solve what type of engine you have: "Do you have a red or black DIRECT IGNITION Cassette in the middle on top of the engine? If so, you have a 4 Cylinder and it DOES have a timing chain.**
Tweek's Turbos said:
If your mechanic want's to change the timing belt on your 9-3. I would hold a competition to see what tow truck can get the car out of the shop the fastest.:eek:

Only the V6 cars use a tbelt. The best option is the endless chain, yes with engine removal. Fair price is a hair under $900 or so.

LOL, I got this done months ago; somebody broght this thread back to life. My mechanic didn't even see the car before he told my father the parts to get; he doesn't deal with Saabs all to often I suppose. My father told me what the mechanic said, and I then notified him that the water pump was an external accessory and it had a DI cassette with a timing chain, and he knew exactly what to do. He's a very good and competent mechanic. And you should know that every 9-3 after 2000 has a black DIC, and 1999 and lower has a red DIC

·
Registered
23 Posts
thecanyon2k4 said:
LOL, I got this done months ago; somebody broght this thread back to life. My mechanic didn't even see the car before he told my father the parts to get; he doesn't deal with Saabs all to often I suppose. My father told me what the mechanic said, and I then notified him that the water pump was an external accessory and it had a DI cassette with a timing chain, and he knew exactly what to do. He's a very good and competent mechanic. And you should know that every 9-3 after 2000 has a black DIC, and 1999 and lower has a red DIC
i think the 1999 9-3 viggen has a black dic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts