SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The idler pulley on my '94 GM900 disintegrated on the motorway last weekend and of course took the belt out with it. Long story short: one very happy small son who got a lift home in a breakdown truck. Now that I've sourced a new belt and pulley, I can't seem to get at the bolt that holds what's left of the old idler pulley on. Any suggestions? I've taken one small panel out within the wheel arch, which enables access to the main crank pulley, but still can't get at the idler pulley.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But how to get at that lower idler pulley?

Appreciate the links earthworm. The instructions on the first link you provided are excellent, but what I've just realised is that I think the pulley on my car has a bolt with a six-pointed hole in the end for a 'star' screwdriver head, which is why I can't get at it. There appars to be nothing I can stick a wrench onto.

I'll try a couple of things: mole grips on the pulley shaft (the rim of the pulley is now off, having detatched from the hub on the motorway); following Twek's Turbos suggestion and jacking the engine up a little to see if it helps at all. If that fails, I'll fit a short belt and either live with that or at least be able to drive to the garage to get the long one fitted plus pulley.

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Go with the short belt and forget about the useless center idler all together. It was a design flaw from the beginning. Definitely replace your tensioner pulley and upper idler though (those you kinda need).

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
There are two idlers and one tensioner pulley..
Go the "short belt" route, eliminate the one pulley that you cannot access anyway...
That should have been in the link..
I'm just repeating the words from Darren.:cheesy:
You may have to buy some specialized tools.. and that hydraulic jack

·
Registered
96 Posts
I did it myself without removing the wheel in 40 mins, no hydraulic jack needed. Use Dmitry's guide for 9-5, disregard the wheel removal part. All you need is some allen keys with an extension tube over them, and a screwdriver for dealing with the airbox part. Remove the tensioner complely, then change the pulley - that's the only way.. Good luck

http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/20040929.Saab_9-5_serpentine_belt/?i=20040929a.Start.jpg

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
Have you tried an 8-mm allen wrench? You may need to cut it down with a die grinder if it's too long. Then use a length of pipe for leverage. A socket with an 8-mm wrench will never fit in there... Ron

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Go with the short belt and forget about the useless center idler all together. It was a design flaw from the beginning. Definitely replace your tensioner pulley and upper idler though (those you kinda need).
Why is the center idler expendable? Why would it be there if it wasn't really needed? I don't doubt that you are correct, but I'm just curious as to why that is.

·
Registered
867 Posts
The center pulley just shortens the long run at the top of the engine. Long runs can generate vibrations and cause possible slippage. Saab service techs used to complain so much about replacing this part that Saab relented and went to the short belt configuration for the 9-3.
If you want to keep the pulley, swap out the original bolt for a regular hex head bolt. This was used on the earlier NG900 models and is much easier to remove.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
An automotive engineer should answer this one...So, without this luxury for today, this old inspector will try...I'm sure that engineers do have certain ways of doing things, which go back to the days of the Greeks and Romans...
Believe it or not, engineers tend to over-design , in order to be on the safe side.. Later on, it becomes evident that the over-design can be safely trimmed away.
Note that the Saab 9-3 uses but one hood strut, and only one idler pully...
But this is a risky affair...

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
It's the old philosophy of N+1 engineering. If you really need only one, then have two in case one fails. In this case, if any of the pulleys it's a catastrophe... Ron

1 - 13 of 13 Posts