SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble getting the bolt in the middle of the A/C belt idler pulley. I have lossen both of the other bolts and the pulley will not move in so i can bolt the A/C compressor back in it's mounting bracket. I have a 1987 saab 900 tirbo convertible. The Bentely manual is not really any help. First off, do i need to remove the middle bolt in the pulley bracket?? Does anyone have some info on this??

Thanks!!:confused:

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
The tensioner assembly is attached to the head by 2 bolts, but the pulley tension is adjusted by turning the locknut on the end of the threaded rod.

Easiest way to fix things is to unscrew the locknut about 1/2 inch, then loosely install the tensioner assembly with just the "center" bolt in the bracket--leave off the 2nd bolt and the threaded rod/locknut piece for now.

Install the compressor. Fit the belt around the crank pulley, the compressor, and the tensioner pulley; belt will be totally slack. Now fit the threaded rod/locknut piece onto the tensioner with the 2nd bolt--if you can't get the bolt into its hole in the head, unwind the locknut another 1/4 inch or so and try again.

Finally, screw in the locknut to eliminate the slack in the belt (I use a deep 13mm socket for this). Tighten this locknut, with engine running and compressor ON, until blipping the throttle produces almost no flapping in the belt. Firmly tighten the 2 tensioner mounting bolts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts