SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did a UV leak test and have a leak at the compressor. Question is: can the local shop do the fix or a saab certified machanic, or me? Was reading in the manual due to the gases and all, it says to have a pro do it.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Once the system is relieved of pressure, you can change the drier and compressor yourself.

There is potential for serious injury in servicing the system, which is probably why the manual will not cover it.

If you don't want to do research, buy a manifold set, protective gear, a vacuum pump and risk bodily harm, take it to a shop. It doesn't need to be a Saab shop.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Has the same problem with mine recently. With no pressure in the system it's safe, but remember that the gas is at high pressure it there's anything near a full charge in it.

The compressor is held on with 3 bolts: two are easy to get to but the 3rd is under the compressor and it a real sod. On mine, all 3 were pretty tight at first so go easy. The hydraulic lines reease easilly, but don't over tighten them on the new one as they are easy to strip when tightening (this was why mine was leaking thanks to the PO)

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Shaft seal leak or a o-ring leak at one of the flanges?

Since you intend to install a new compressor, we'll assume the shaft seal is leaking.

Has it (the compressor) been idle for a significant length of time?

If the air conditioning has been inoperative for a long time, and the system pressure is low, the seal has a tendency to get dry and stick on the shaft.

Before renewing the compressor you might try adding a full charge and running it for awhile. This will often pop the rotating part of the seal free and allow it to re-establish contact with the stationary half.

Also, another thought. How bad is it leaking? If it's a small leak, one that only requires a quick shot of gas every month or so, consider costs:

You can buy a bunch of 134-a before you approach the cost of compressor (even a reman unit is close to $300).

·
Registered
953 Posts
All the parts in the original compressor are 15+ years old. A catastrophic failure can dump metal shavings in the system, smoke the serpentine belt, etc.

On Ebay, new compressors are going for $130, remanufactured for $90.

These appear to have the redesigned clutch.

While you're in there, you might also replace the expansion valve.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chengy: I did do a recharge on it before and it lasted maybe a week. When I did the UV leak test it was on the compressor ( not really sure what the parts are called) but it wasn't anywhere near the hoses. The leak looked small, only in one spot. I tried to look for the sight glass, but couldn't find it. I have to shop around for prices, but seeing how we are still in Sept, I may just another recharge, just to get through the rest of the the Hot AZ summer.
Is there a way I can tell how much freon is in it? Also when I did the test, I get no cold a/c blowing, before there was just a faint of cool air.
It shouldn't affect the heater come winter right?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All the parts in the original compressor are 15+ years old. A catastrophic failure can dump metal shavings in the system, smoke the serpentine belt, etc.

On Ebay, new compressors are going for $130, remanufactured for $90.

These appear to have the redesigned clutch.

While you're in there, you might also replace the expansion valve.
Twinsen I was thinking about buying one, In case I do decide and do the diy route, when I was shopping around on ebay, I saw a universal one, and others, is there a difference, do you or anyone else have experience with one brand over another? Should I just get the more expensive one, vs the "cost affordable" one?
Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts