SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just about ready to have my timing belt changed for the first time at 60,000 miles. In reading about this issue on the Saab Forum most members recommended that you also replace the Tensioner and Pulley at the same time. I have already replaced my water pump so I won't plan to replace it again at this time. For those of you who have gone through this repair can anyone shed any light on the approximate costs to replace the tensioner and pulley while the Saab mechanics already have the engine disassembled. Do you recommend replacing both the tensioner and pulley or can you get away with only replacing the tensioner? Any information on this subject would be appreciated.

Thanks, Marty

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
The extra work in changing all the pulleys [2 idler and 1 tensioner] amounts to about 20 minutes of labour plus the parts, so why not? Especially as it is the pulleys that are the weak link in the assembly.

G

·
This is a V6. I only saw a tensioner under my hood. No Idler pully's. If it is at the dealer, they will probably replace the entire unit which will give you a new tensioner & pully. It is faster than breaking the pully off of the tensioner(possibly cheaper).

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
jlthunder said:
This is a V6. I only saw a tensioner under my hood.
under the hood is not enough as that 's the serpentine belt. Beyond that serpentine belt is a timing cover and under that there is a timing belt driving 4 cam shafts with a dynamic tension pulley and 2 other 'idler' pulleys.

I have only done the timing belt on 5 of these V6 engines so I am no expert.

G

·
Oppps; I mis read the first post. I thought he was talking about the serp belt. I'd replace the tensioner and the idler pully. I plan on doing the same at 120K.

·
Registered
610 Posts
wink wink:
if you are still below 60k miles, i beleive saab will replace the belt for free
wink wink:

but, i do not beleive that they will replace the tensioner and pulleys.

someone correct me if i have the wrong info.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yup, Saab pays for belt and labor in the US. You pay for parts and 1 to 1.5 hours of labor for them to install. I think everything with the waterpump we paid something like $600, but i don't quite remember.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Speaking from experience.:x Yes you should go ahead and replace the pulleys also. If you do a search in the forums you will find answer related to what happens if you don't. I don't know why saab doesn't suggest you do it. It will be one of the big precautions you could pay for. I had my belt changed along with the waterpump. Well a year later the pulley failed. Cost of repair was about $35,000.00. Cost for a new pulley is around $260 to $300 if you buy it online. Check Eeuroparts.com. Also if your water pumps needs to be replace it's a good time to do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts