SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We recently purchased a 99 9-3 and love it! It's taking us a little bit just to figure everything out.

We noticed that the stereo sounds REALLY terrible! After much adjusting with the fade/balance controls, we've realized that the previous owner must have blown the front 4 speakers (one of them cuts out all the time and we don't get sound out of the other three at all). :x The ones in the trunk are fine.

I was wondering how to replace the front four speakers (two on the dash, one each in the two front doors). Any idea what size speakers these use? Can I find a correct replacement size at an a/v store (Best Buy or the like) or will I have to order them from SAAB?

Any help you could give in this regard would be most appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Rachel

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
another new member posted a link to this sight and i contains alot of useful info on hifi upgrades just click on upgrading down the left side of the web page :D

welcome to saab central be the way :lol:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
3 1/2 in the dash and 6 1/2 in the doors.

Replacing the dash speakers is very simple. It's a 10min job. Just remove the grill with a small screw driver. There's no fastener holding the grill. The speaker is held by 2 torx screws. Putting a brand name speakers there will make a big difference. I installed Infinity ($100 for a pair) and they work very well. Many 3 1/2 come with capacitors which you're suppose to connect in series. I definitely recommend connecting them to reduce bass distortion.

The speaker grill on the door does not come out. You have to remove the door completely. I have some pictures that I took during my install, so if you need further assistance I'll post them here.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
boxman said:
i'm guessing that should read "door panel" ;)
Hee hee. Thanks for the correction. I just had a mental picture of Rachel removing the door from the hinge and saying "this doesn't look right". Mea Culpa.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Ok , i am looking at some 3 1/2 inch infinity reference 3012cf's right now on CField.com and they say it does not fit my car (well.. i select the 1999 9-3 se which is the same pretty much) Also looking at infinity reference 9612i 6x9's in the rear. They should still fit correct?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I used Infinity 3002cf, which is a 3 1/2" two way speaker. It was a perfect fit with same location for the screws.

I have attached a picture of the stock and the new speaker.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, thanks so much for all the info! I am REALLY glad that you mentioned the door panel as opposed to the door. I probably would have figured it all out before I actually removed the whole door (or would have figured it was easier to go without side speakers ;))

I'd be most grateful for the install pics especially of the door panel ones. How long should that process take (roughly)?

I read that I should use bass blockers on the little 3.5" dash speakers as it will make them both sound better and last longer. Is this what you mean by the capacitors or something else?

Lastly, since the stereo system is definitely working I assume that the reason that I'm getting no sound out of three of the speakers is just because they're blown (the fourth you can hear sound trying to come out of but it's cutting and clipping really badly). Is no sound from speakers a symptom of them being blown?

Thanks again!

Rachel

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I should ask this because I'm a little confused. I have a 99 9-3 SE. Does this model come with speakers in the doors or are the grills there for futire upgrades. It wasn't clear on the saabnet.com audioguide pages as they were written primarily about the 900. If it doesn't have any speakers already installed to replace, does anyone know if there is wire already run to that place in the door?

Thanks again!

Rachel

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
varaonaid said:
I read that I should use bass blockers on the little 3.5" dash speakers as it will make them both sound better and last longer. Is this what you mean by the capacitors or something else?
Yes they will make it sound better, yes you're less likely to blow them, and yes the included capacitor will block the bass.

varaonaid said:
I guess I should ask this because I'm a little confused. I have a 99 9-3 SE. Does this model come with speakers in the doors or are the grills there for futire upgrades. It wasn't clear on the saabnet.com audioguide pages as they were written primarily about the 900. If it doesn't have any speakers already installed to replace, does anyone know if there is wire already run to that place in the door?
9-3 SE did come with speakers in the door, but they are pretty pathetic in quality. Those speakers are driven by a separate amplifier which is mounted on the kick panel on the passenger side. That amplifier has built-in low pass filter so you'll only be getting bass through them. I ended up upgrading both the speaker and the amplifier since I was interested in getting a little more volume and mid-range from there.

I'll post few pictures of installation this weekend.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The info really help - thanks a lot.

I have another question I've been pondering about this audio thing. The dash speakers are definitely blown because they're barely functional though you can hear a bit through them - however the door speakers seem dead...no sound at all out of them. My question is this, could the speakers be run in series meaning that if the dash speakers blow, no sound could get to the door speakers. Is this possible? I'm wondering if I replace the dash speakers, will the door then be able to get sound again. Just a thought. Let me know what you think.

Thanks again!
Rachel

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
The door speakers are completely independent of the dashboard speakers. They're all hooked up to the front channel, so the fader controls both pairs, but the door speakers aren't wired in series with the dash speakers. The door speakers are only woofers, so don't expect to hear anything but bass out of them. The amplifier only sends signals below 150 Hz or so to them. They're also some sort of high-excursion woofers, so you can't replace them with any old woofers if you listen to bass-heavy music. I tried out some fairly expensive speakers, and that little 35 watt amp bottomed them all out with some British dance music. The stock ones never bottomed out. I finally settled on some Boston Acoustics Pro-Series LF6.5 woofers.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Well... stage 1 of my speaker upgrade is now complete. Installed some of the 9603i's in the rear of my viggen and so far... so good.

Was a little picky to get them in... but nothing a hammer could fix. Was able to mount them after i enlarged the holes for it and everything went well. Audio quality is very nice out of them too, not very bassy but not too bassy. Bass is for the doors anyway so i am happy. My dash speakers are comming in the mail this evening and then i will say how stage 2 goes.

Stage 1 took a good 1 1/2hours, mainly due to the reshaping of the mounts and looking for a 10mm socket to get to the speakers.

UPDATE: Stage 2 of my audio upgrade is complete.
Just before me and the family went out for a little bit... ups came by to drop off my package from Crutchfield.com. Got my 3012's and some bass blockers (not using them ....) and once i got home I got to installing them. Installation took about... humm... 5 - 10 minutes each. Easy and simple and they really sound great. Not very bassy like the stock speakers were, these have great highs and midrange. Just a little "bass" out of them , but that is what the door speakers are for (that is stage 4...) I would highly reccimend (I cant spell) these guys.

Stage 3 is next.... IPOD/AUX input mod for my ipod and psp! :lol:

(I got a 10 bucks off 50 dollars and free standard shipping link to CF.com if anyone needs it too)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Slowpc said:
Got my 3012's and some bass blockers (not using them ....) and once i got home I got to installing them. Installation took about... humm... 5 - 10 minutes each. Easy and simple and they really sound great. Not very bassy like the stock speakers were, these have great highs and midrange. Just a little "bass" out of them , but that is what the door speakers are for (that is stage 4...) I would highly reccimend (I cant spell) these guys.
Slowpc, why did you decide not to use the bass blockers? I'm thinking of ordering a pair of the 3002's from ebay but have been confused as to whether or not I should use capacitors or bass blockers or anything like that with the speakers. Do the speakers sound "stressed" at all by the bass going to it?

Glad to hear that your audio upgrades are going well so far. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Also, it's worth mentioning that some models don't have the amplifier. If you don't have the amp, then you won't have door speakers either. Mine came this way. You can add them, of course, but you'd need to add the amp too I think to power the door speakers only.

Also, FWIW, when I replaced my dash speakers I went with the Alpine SPS 080 a. I think either DeadCentre or Boxman recommended them. They are a definite upgrade from the stock (esp if they're blown like mine :roll: ). I didn't go with the bass blocking capacitors and they're fine. But I don't really crank the stereo all that much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is there an easy way to tell whether or not my 9-3 SE came with the door speakers/amp? I'm wondering if they are blown or non existent!

·
Registered
633 Posts
If you have the 9-3 se with the extra amp doing the doors the bassblockers are not needed really. So it is up to you if you want to install them.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
varaonaid said:
Is there an easy way to tell whether or not my 9-3 SE came with the door speakers/amp? I'm wondering if they are blown or non existent!

Someone on the list might know based on your model/year. Maybe the easiest way is to check by removing the kick panel by the passenger's left foot. It's held in place by a few torx screws. You'll need to open the glove compartment to get a couple. Once you remove this panel, you should be able to see an amplifier. I think it's a vertical silver colored box. If you have one, then you should have door speakers. If not, then you won't have the door speakers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts